Carpet to carpet threshold/transition

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z89idb

Reaction score
Looking for some solutions to torn carpet under a door. The dog chewed a 1 1/2" strip under the door the full length of the doorway. Could I use a carpet to carpet transition? If I were to replace the carpet it would cost $400. Thanks

An option would be to take a piece of wood and bevel both sides, cut to lenght of opening and glue it to the floor. It may not look normal but, it's cheaper than $400. Another option might be to even up both sides and seam in a patch. Matching the carpet would be the biggest challenge.

Just but a piece of gold flat metal. You can get it at any home center or flooring store. They come with gold colored screw nails.

samfloor, that was my first thought but, I think the OP's dog chewed out more than what the metal transition pieces can cover.

You can buy them 3" wide at some stores. The standard ones are 1 1/2".

I bought an oak transition for flooring of equal height at home depot. It works ok. I could have used a piece 2 1/2" wide instead of 1 3/4". Some of the carpet is not covered by the transition but at least I can't see the subfloor. Can anyone suggest a way to protect the edges of the carpet? Can I staple the carpet or would some sort of glue/adhesive work? Can anyone suggest a product?

Do you know why dogs go after carpet in doorways? There is a seam. Some seam tapes are made with corn-based adhesive and so it smells like dog food.

Back