Dirt Basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahmof2

Reaction score
Our 2-story house was built around 1912-1914. We have a dirt basement with a cement floor and sump pump. It was used for storing coal for the fireplaces so it has a small window where the guy would pour the coal through. It leaks if we have a really hard rain. I was wondering if I could do anything with the basement like make a small room if we are able to leaking fixed. Anyone have one of these, we are the only ones that I know of that has one like this. Everyone else has the nice finished basements that are second living rooms, etc. Ideas and/or comments would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum Sahmof:
I would begin with a drain tile around the concrete floor, backfilled with rock. Then build concrete block walls around the space; use 8" blocks with steel and concrete cores and a bond beam and you have a good storm cellar. Some shelving on 1 side would make it a nice root cellar or storage for canning.
Glenn

So let me get this straight- it has a concrete floor but dirt walls? ? please explain
Ron

Back