flooring paint removal - by blasting?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjenkins

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully used a blasting technique to remove paint from flooring? I have an antique (1820's) home in which a previous owner painted the wide pine flooring with a red enamel paint. The floors are very uneven, with paint down in the crevices... too uneven for even a palm sander, which would also not get down into the crevices between the boards. I'm wondering if a blasting technique, perhaps using some material other than sand, could be used to get the paint off, including between the boards. If not, is there anything else that would be successful, short of disassembly and chemical stripping? Thanks for your ideas.

Uneven, paint in the cracks, time for a new floor.
And no any form of blasting is not going to work inside a home. The media would be every where.

I don't think any one on here would suggest it. Post a pic

Dry Ice blasting does not leave any trace of media.
Call around to see who does this in your area.

Dry ice blasting--sounds exotic, and probably expensive if you can find anyone in your time zone who does it.

I'd be inclined to consider either complete floor removal and replacement, or possibly just overcoating what's there with a more satisfying color.

BridgeMan said:
Dry ice blasting--sounds exotic, and probably expensive if you can find anyone in your time zone who does it.

I'd be inclined to consider either complete floor removal and replacement, or possibly just overcoating what's there with a more satisfying color.

Lol..... Exotic!

Thanks for the dry ice suggestion. I'd seen it work for mold removal and wondered if it would work for paint as well. This seems to be the best suggestion. As it's an historic house, replacing the floor is the last thing that is appropriate... perhaps easy, but not appropriate. And this will be better than any sort of machine sanding or gel at getting into the cracks.

Latest posts

Back