Im in trouble! Gotta big leak. Help if you can.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayrod

Reaction score
Anyway, I was installing a CD player for a friend yesterday when I heard a loud sound. I was completely on the other side of the house so I got out and followed the noise. I followed all the way to the outside A/C unit. The noise sounded just like as if you unscrewed the valve stem out of a tire full of air. It was that loud, I knew it was the freon/refrigerant coming out so I was already mad. I tried to take it apart to feel for the leak but I wasnt fast enough, it was all leaked out by the time I got in there. It sounded like it came from the condensor coil area, most of that is hidden. This must be a big leak though.

It had been working fine and I know it was just turned on for the first time that day, my wife just turned it on. I depressed both shrader valves in and theres no pressure left, nothing.

The unit is an energy efficient Carrier. Doesnt look too old. Model number is
38BYCO36348. Any common places I can check? It seems like something came completely apart or unscrewed. Im gonna take a big hit if I have to spend 2 or $3,000 dollars for a new unit.

Ive fixed this unit atleast once every year from the start capacitor to the contactors but this is a bigger job so I need to ask advice first. Thanks guys!

Post a photo if you can so the canister has separated from the coils? How much copper tubing is ruined?

Post a photo if you can so the canister has separated from the coils? How much copper tubing is ruined?

I dont know, it sounds like something seperated or came apart/loose.

If the site will allow me to post pics, I will if I find anything. It shouldnt be hard to find. Gotta take it apart first.

You will have to remove the sheet metal housing to expose the condensor coils. Look for a wet spot, this will be the refrigerant oil. A common area for a leak is where the coils loop back around inside the end housing for the lines (similar to the side of an automobile radiator).
You will have to have this leak brazed, evacuated, leak tested and recharged.

100_8257.jpg

100_8258.jpg

100_8260.jpg

This isnt repairable is it?? I have to buy the whole compressor dont I? Did the contactor cause this? That black wire is going to a contactor.

I have a friend in the industry that can help with the brazing/soldering part.

Thanks for all the help guys.

jayrod said:
This isnt repairable is it?? I have to buy the whole compressor dont I? Did the contactor cause this? That black wire is going to a contactor.

I have a friend in the industry that can help with the brazing/soldering part.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks for posting photos looks like the connector grounded itself some how and I'm thinking your correct I don't think you can get away with just getting the connections with the wires as the prongs on the canister is also damaged :( and I wouldn't suggest jerry rigging it either

Well nevermind, Ive been told the connector got loose and arced creating what you see in the pics.

So how bout the leak? Did it all blow out at the compressor when the wire set blew out. that is some serious meltage on the compressor housing. I have seen hard start kits hooked up to locked up compressors and blow that seal clean off with the gas and oil all over the place. It dosent look like it is too much of a mess, just on the plus side.

dumb question, but you pulled the disconnect after all this went down right??

good luck

Back