HELP for MIDDLE CLASS

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles

Reaction score
I consider myself as "middle class". I am a 67 year old disabled man, and became disabled when I was 60 years old.
I have been eximpt from property tax since being disabled, and it was a great help.
Yesterday, I received notification that I needed to recertify because of recent tax law changes.
It appears that if I draw $12,000 or more and I am 65 or older, I will be paying property taxes again.:mad:
Although this is not a great burden for me, I know there are many that will be greatly hurt by these changes!:eek:

THANKS for Helping the Middle Class----Whoever is responsable!!!!!!!

You wonder who makes these rules, they couldn't figure out a graduated scale. We have the same thing here, when you turn 65 you're not dissabled any more, you're a pensioner for less.

In the US, if you "retire" and start taking your Social Security, you are allowed to earn something like $14,000 additional income (on which you are taxed). If you earn more, you lose Social Security funds on a dollar for dollar basis. This means seniors in America are FORCED to live on a fixed income . . . even though the so-called retirement funds are THEIR money paid into the system.

My way of thinking would be to allow anyone who reaches a qualifying age of retirement to begin drawing their funds and have an unlimited ability to continue to work (and pay all neessary taxes) as long as they choose. With modern medicine and healthy lifestyles, the effective working lifetimes of Americans extends past the usual retirement ages ... and the ocst of living might necessitate greater income.

Explain that limitation to me.

In the US, if you "retire" and start taking your Social Security, you are allowed to earn something like $14,000 additional income (on which you are taxed). If you earn more, you lose Social Security funds on a dollar for dollar basis. This means seniors in America are FORCED to live on a fixed income . . . even though the so-called retirement funds are THEIR money paid into the system.

My way of thinking would be to allow anyone who reaches a qualifying age of retirement to begin drawing their funds and have an unlimited ability to continue to work (and pay all neessary taxes) as long as they choose. With modern medicine and healthy lifestyles, the effective working lifetimes of Americans extends past the usual retirement ages ... and the ocst of living might necessitate greater income.

Explain that limitation to me.
Some time back, I read somewhere that a few years ago, there was enough money in the SS that it would last indefinately:)
I further read that the federal government somehow got into the SS fund and spent billions of taxpayer's money.
Now we have problems:mad:
I might add that I don't necessarly believe all that I read and all this may be untrue.

If I'm not wrong, isn't your social security money generally reinvested for something else? Honestly the system is so convoluted half the time I don't understand what's going on.

I'm not qualified to comment, but this dead dude may have been

"Bentham's ambition in life was to create a "Pannomion", a complete utilitarian code of law. He not only proposed many legal and social reforms, but also expounded an underlying moral principle on which they should be based. This philosophy of utilitarianism took for its "fundamental axiom, it is the greatest happiness of the greatest number that is the measure of right and wrong".[15] Bentham claimed to have borrowed this concept from the writings of Joseph Priestley,[16] although the closest that Priestley in fact came to expressing it was in the form "the good and happiness of the members, that is the majority of the members of any state, is the great standard by which every thing relating to that state must finally be determined".[17]"

My version is that if you are not likely to sue, singly or as a group, then you will probably be stomped on. At least 15 other countries have more regard for their citizens than the US.

If you want to know the truth you have to work for it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400065666/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Giles. Your SS system buys government bonds every year that they have a surplus.
Now the treasury has it and congress has full access to it. Only this year or last year they actually had to cash in a bond for the first time.

Giles- "Whoever is responsable!" would be whoever sets your property taxes. That is usually , city and county govt school districts. Luckily that is where a citizen has most influence, though even then not much. Complain at city hall and county commisioner court, school board meetings. Elections are coming up. Complain loudly, publicly.

There are also other taxing bodies, board members are often appointed and citizens have little control over them. We got hospital istrict, transit district, air port district, drainage district, I don't know what all. Each one sets its own rates and homestead, disability, and senior exemptions. Everyone of them takes a piece of the cherry pie and leaves us with a bit of soggy crust and the pits.

Latest posts

Back