Remnant granite finishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
I've found you can get remnant natural stone piece for a table. Say 17"x64" , how hard is it to finish the edge? I have a wet saw but it does not cut that straight, i guess a lot of sanding, but then would it be straight? Better to use natural stone tiles, at least the edge is straight..?
1d8b0222-fc1d-444c-901f-14f3ca7b3675.jpg

Neal's post is a good primer on DIY granite cutting .... He will go deaf, of course, without hearing protection. A dust mask would be a good idea too!

I would have liked to see the bullnose operation. Here is a video which shouws some sloppy work to create a bullnose ... we can ALL do better than these guys!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUTI_Q5xRg[/ame]

I am thinking 64" edge is not that easy to get perfection straight for a table.

I found some nice real marble at Lowes at $9.95 a sq. might as well just go with that. Nice thing is that i can open all the boxes and pick the nicest ones, the bright white is nice near the window and remnant guys don't seem to have much marble anyways. The edge i will just smooth down a bit and leave it exposed, with the wood trim coming flush from bellow. I am thinking to use 1/4" pieces of wood for separators/grout?

ps, i am always careful with ear/eye protection and dust protection, my father lost his hearing i think because of years around the saws, and my sister because of music.
Will post some pic's when it is done.

Last edited:
Or a table or much less a desk it won't get wet, so wood i think is a better choice. I use some poly grout on the kitchen counter with porcelain tiles push right together. It worked out well as long as nothing like coffee gets on the grout.

The computer desk has worked out better than expected. The marble is from lowes is first rate (i picked the best pieces, he he) I used 3 pieces and the rest filled in with cedar., under near is the led lit, the marble is translucent.

The edge was easy to sand down with fine sandpaper. You have to be careful not scratch the finish, only sand the edge. (remind my self.)

Back