Retaining Wall over Culvert Pipe...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The life of the wood will be enhanced by good drainage. You say you have stone, so that is good. Will the bottom courses be sitting in water?

:cool: @ slowsteady, in answer to your query..The Bottom Row (6x6) sites level resting on top of the culvert pipe which is out of the water, even with Spring Runoff in the mix...It has be concluded that poor drainage and water allowed to back up causing the existing Retaining Wall to become saturated with water through time (7 years)...

Still considering rock baskets?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabion

:hide: @ slowsteady..After some short Deliberation with My Job Planner and the One who affords me with the title of Professional Tool Caddy..We will go with Rock Baskets...Drainage is the Operative Word, Management feels the build up of pooled water will have many places to drain...lol...

Just throwing this out there since I have seen it a lot in my line of work.
Do you plan to replace the culvert pipe and do you know its condition?I have witnessed a lot of people with beautiful new drives and retaining walls that failed due to an old pipe.

Just throwing this out there since I have seen it a lot in my line of work.
Do you plan to replace the culvert pipe and do you know its condition?I have witnessed a lot of people with beautiful new drives and retaining walls that failed due to an old pipe.

:agree: @ Jimmy...Point Well taken, Yes looks are deceiving on the outside considering the actual age of the house..I'm going by the age of the house when it was originally built from the foundation on up...The Township installed the Pipe in the late 70's , laying down a bed of 2" stone 1st...Then more 2" stone on top to create an access to the property.. I guess you could say one advantage of the Rock Cage concept, if the Galvanized Culvert Pipe went South...We could dismantle the Retaining Wall without to much effort, then trench to the otherside as it slopes on that side...Cheers..:)

Drainage is the Operative Word, Management feels the build up of pooled water will have many places to drain...lol...

sounds like a plan! It makes a lot of sense. I think the next step after the wall is built is to clear the downstream area so the water just keeps moving.

Back