Extending well water conditioner discharge line

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip1909

Reaction score
The drain line from my well water conditioner is currently dumping right out onto the ground surface near the foundation when the system regenerates. This past weekend it dumped at least 20 gallons of water. Some of the water then trickles into the basement through the stone foundation. I was thinking I could just install a grated catch basin under it, then route that out to a drywell. Is that a good solution or are the basin and 4" drain line likely to freeze in the winter? Are drywells supposed to be installed below frost depth?

My other concern is that my water well looks like it is close to where the discharge is dumping, based on where the water line comes in through the foundation, but I can't find the well cap outside and I can't tell exactly where the well is. I also can't put the drywell more than 20ft away because of a driveway.

339recm.jpg

The white pipe next to the black discharge line is the exhaust vent for the gas hot water heater.

For sure you need a drywell or some method of getting that water away from the house. That was a poor installation IMO. That pipe located like that can freeze up also. Bake sure it is all pitched down until below the frost line. Fast moving water that’s not a constant flow should make it into the deeper pipe and off to a drywell I would think. You could also pitch it down and insulate it. Or put it in deeper and go thru the wall below grade. As far away as you can get it the better.

I don't know what circumstances would cause the conditioner to discharge that much water. I have a water softener and a conditioner to reduce acidity, both inline. They discharge into the drain line for the house, protected by a backflow valve.
You could just extend the black poly line to a safer distance from the house. But I would also make sure that the system is doing what it is supposed to do.

Latest posts

Back