Help with downspout drainage issues

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are called catch basins. google them

they are called catch basins. google them

The patio has a channel drain that runs the length of the patio and exits at both sides. The pool area is sloped to that on one side and the patio is sloped to it as well on the other side making a V essentially. I do have a 12x12 catch basin that I put in (replaces the small one shown in my original post) on the outlet on one side of the channel drain.

I think you have a good plan in process. You now have to finalize the planning and then execute the plan. Being in Fla you have the benefits of not having to worry about things freezing up. You also have the disadvantage of the potential for lots of water coming down in a short period of time. No one can tell you if your plan is overkill or not. What one man calls a small annoyance of water collecting for a day or so after a big rain can be a major annoyance to someone else. The system you are proposing is not going to be something that’s going to save your house in the event of a tropical storm lasting several days bring 6” of water per hour. That most likely will happen at some point and will be out of everyone’s control and will require a clean up after it’s over. What you are dealing with is after a normal heavy rain of a couple hours and the sun comes out you can go out and enjoy your pool area without having to walk thru an inch of water and you can walk on your grass without sinking in etc.

I wouldn’t run a cord from the outlet to the sump with a plug on the end. I would do it some way with a dedicated breaker and run sealtite into the tank and make my connections there. I would even think about having the tank come up above ground level so all my wiring is out of the wet zone. Get a real tank designed for this with a lid you can secure on. You don’t need kids messing around in there.

Lastly I would make 100% sure that what I was doing was approved by whoever is in charge of such things in advance. For sure someone will be walking their dog after a big rain and see water being pumped and the water might be muddy or something and they will be calling in a water leak to whoever. Once you get a bunch of people looking it over you don’t want someone saying you can’t do that.

IF I went the route of putting in a barrel/dry well/whatever you want to call it with a pump, would this effectively be what I would be doing?:

What is the container they are using here?

i was answering your question, they are called catch basins.

different sizes, plastic, concrete, fiberglass, etc

I agree, install a pump, run a 2'' line under the grass..shallow

to the curb..

the reason i keep saying run the pipe shallow, you will have to daylight the pipe at the street..you do not want the pipe elbowing up to exit at the street

if the pipe is below the street crap will accumulate in it and blah blah blah

120vac40a_rev.jpg

Last edited:
i was answering your question, they are called catch basins.

different sizes, plastic, concrete, fiberglass, etc

I agree, install a pump, run a 2'' line under the grass..shallow

to the curb..

the reason i keep saying run the pipe shallow, you will have to daylight the pipe at the street..you do not want the pipe elbowing up to exit at the street

if the pipe is below the street crap will accumulate in it and blah blah blah

Apologies, I thought you were correcting me.

I too think this is the best method and like I said this isn't the first time it has been suggested. I have more or less convinced myself I will be doing this even though I don't "want" to do it lol. The reason I don't want to do it is because of the work involved and the money spent but I can get over all of that if it functions for everything other than hurricane/tropical storm level rains. I know that will be unavoidable.

If there is a pump inside I am assuming the basin will need to be easily accessible in case of service correct? Ideally I would want to put a top on then rebury so it isn't seen.

You can do it however you want, but I would have it extend above ground level and have a screw on cover on it. If you get a flood and its below ground level when you open it everything floating around is going in. I have several tank type things above ground level and you can hide them ok.

If you cut your grass 4'' then have the top of the tank at 3 1/2'' grass will creep over it in time,
st augustine/ bermudia

you will find it when needed

as long as it is above the dirt,your ok.

It seems like you've got your plan sorted out so I'm only suggesting this because you mentioned the potential difficulty of bringing your run-off to the front of the house. I apologize if this was mentioned already but perhaps you could make that entire side yard a retention area by burying several water collecting tanks with them all connected by a pvc pipe, cover it with gravel then mulch or bark. Perhaps this could be adequate.

Latest posts

Back