Routing Grill hood vent through ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yjyankee

Reaction score
Good day-

I wasn't sure exactly what section to put this under, so I'm throwing it up here..

I'm building a hood to go above my outdoor grill. As you can see from the picture attached, it's mounted to a brick wall, and goes up through the outdoor patio ceiling, and into the roof. My question is this; when routing that pipe up through the roof, should I make a larger diameter hole than the pipe so it doesn't touch. Should the pipe have some sort of insulation around it at where it goes through the ceiling? I live in south Louisiana. What about insulating that hole up in the attic?

Any/all help is definitely appreciated!

Thanks-

Daniel
2013-09-09_14-23-34_996_zpsf7f94966.jpg

I could be wrong but, I think we're about to open a can of worms here. :eek:
Even though it's just a hood fan, it does have the potential to catch fire.
Over time, the exhaust will build up flammable grease.
Given that, do you need double walled stainless steel exhaust?
Are there any fire codes to be considered regarding this exhaust?
You can apply a trim ring around the pipe and give the opening a finished look.

Wow, ask and you shall receive!! Thanks Nealtw!!

I guess I should've been more specific. Here's the progress thus far...

2013-09-09_19-39-04_884_zpsf219c5d9.jpg

I'll be covering the entire hood with cypress planks. Therefore, I'm not really too concerned w/ the cosmetics of the pipe, just wasn't sure if I had to have a snug fit because it's outside (insulation in the cold), or it's ok w/ the gap all the way around.

KOK328, I'm not sure on the type of pipe required. Thanks for bringing that up. I'll look into that tomorrow.

I agree that a double wall chimney would be the best option., no insulation as the pipe should be 1" away from wood. A sheet metal ring under the ceiling would be a fire stop for the attic.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=fire...ILIuzigL53IGgDA&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1464&bih=794
You give well built a new meaning, you could have saved a lot of framing by adding plywood to the sides under the finished product. Good job.

Thanks again for the response. I just spoke w/ a local builder here in my subdv about this, & he said being an outside vent, I just need to cut the hole a little bigger, like you said, but I don't need to put anything around the pipe.

As for the plywood, I considered that, but wasn't sure if if would've added more weight to the finished product.

Your local builder is wrong, between each structure area of the house you need fire stopping, 1/2 hour is I believe the standard for burn thru rate. A fire in the attic is the one that brings the house down and is so quick it kills people. Givin the structure that you have, a fire could be going for a few minutes before you notice, we are talking about pennys and lives.

Thanks! I'll look for one. I'm back at work, so the progress has stopped. The good news though; we had a nice storm roll through last night and the attic stayed dry! No wet spots around the pipe either.

I also was informed that the hood is too low/close to the grill. I now have to remove the cypress boards and shorten the bottom of the hood and trim some length off the pipe.

Latest posts

Back