Wood Flooring over cement slab?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMayo

Reaction score
Our log cabin has a cement slab :( (necessary due to budget restraints - not our original choice) but now we have to make a decision on the type of flooring to install in the "great room", hall, and bedroom.

I originally intended to use Brazilian Teak hardwood but the installation may exceed our budget allowance by the time the slab is prepared with sealer, plastic, plywood, and felt. The remainder of the slab will have porcelain tile so the thickness of the plywood/hardwood is also an issue. I am wondering if an engineered bamboo flooring might be better. One of the flooring sites states it can be installed over a slab with just a moisture barrier.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Thats what i would do....

Raising your floor level that much will have all kinds of problems. especially with exterior doors and if you have baseboard heat.

Yes you can use any floating floor and yes they use a moisture barrier. You can get a very high premium foam that will keep the floor a little warmer than the inexspensive stuff.

I will use this opportunity to encourage anyone who askes about the efficacy of engineered or renewable resources. The higher quality flooring with the better insulation underneath will improve the energy efficiency of your home. As for bamboo, it is the world's most renewable building product. Some species grow so fast, you can actually hear the creaking as it comes up. If you are pleased with its appearance and it will satisfy your needs, please use "green" products. :D Mother Earth thanks you.

Latest posts

Back