Which Propane Heater???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockrz

Reaction score
We are renting, so I don't want to install anything permanently... but I need a way to warm my garage so I can work out in it during the cold months.

And, since the house has no fireplace, I can use whatever I get as an emergency indoor heater and I realize that we would need to crack a couple of windows to make sure there's enough oxygen.

It would be nice to have a unit that has a safety cut off for low oxygen and I'd like for it to be able to operate without needing electricity in the event power goes out during the cold months as this may be our only heat (the house has gas heat, but will have no fan if power is out to move warm air around).

And, I'd need it to be somewhat portable or at least able to be moved around with a dolly or be in a cabinet with it's own wheels.

Any suggestions on where to find options?

I found one thing on Amazon HERE that uses what looks like BBQ tank (which should be able to be rented locally), but it doesn't have a fan to move the air.

Please let me know if any of you guys know where to find stuff like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll probably just go with the one on Amazon

I know a couple of guys who have the Mr. Buddy heaters and they like them. If you go with the propane tank, make sure you pickup or fabricate a crate to put the tank in to avoid tip overs and make the unit more stable.

Just my :2cents:

Sounds good, to stay warm.
However there are always a few things to watch for.
The unit puts out water as a byproduct, so running it to much at once can cause condensation issues. Just watch for it, and shut it down for a bit if everything is getting wet.
The other issue is carbon monoxide, I understand the low oxygen cutoff, but I would also get a CO detector for a real defense against the permanent sleep. :D

I personally don’t like the tank in the house or garage. In their title they call it an outdoor propane heater. At minimum I would want tip over shut off and oxygen monitoring. Something with a hose in the garage would be more to my liking running the hose under the garage door. These bottles are filled only 80% and the extra space is for expansion if the temp of the bottle goes up. That 20% is good for something like 40 deg F temp change. Most filling stations are outside and it’s easy to bring a full bottle into a garage and warm it up in excess of the 40 deg. Gas will then vent to keep the internal pressure correct in the bottle. The old bottle could also be overfilled by the guy at the hardware store if he didn’t know what he was doing. The new ones are supposed to only except 80%. If I was using one of these setups in the house and I have. I would never let it run during sleep. If you have small children be very careful to keep them back from these as the faces get very hot.

Around here quite a few people use Kerosene heaters in garages, shops and for back up heat. They work pretty good and are fairly safe. They have a system where you take the tank off and fill it outside so there is no chance of spills. The downside is some people are bothered by the slight smell they give off. I have worked around them a lot and it’s never bothered me.

Back