Wireing 3 diferent lights into one box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxicottin

Reaction score
Hello, I have a light in my dining room, kitchen and back door and I want to run them to one central location instead of having them spread out throuout the area. can someone explain how to wire these up? A picture would be great or link to a video tut.... Thanks!

Your post is not clear but I assume you mean you want to control, or switch all three lights from one location. Do you want one switch or three different switches?

First of all - You likely want to maintain the existing locations. For example, you do not want to move the switch near the door to a location away from the door. That would be inconvenient. Also, its quite likely that these lights are on more than one circuit.

So - to start off. You need to do some detective work and answer these questions. Once you do then further advice can be given.

1) Determine which breakers or fuses control power to which lights.
2) Determine if there are any other switches controlling the lights, be certain f this.
3) Determine where you want to put your new, additional, switches.
4) Determine if its possible to run new wires from your existing switch locations to your existing fixtures and to your new location.

More on #4 - There is no way to tell with the info given - You may need to run all new wires between your new and old locations and/or your lights. It depends on how things were wired. You may not have to run all new wires but you will need to run some new wires. Its premature to give you specific diagrams without more info.

Once you have answered the above questions then we will investigate each current switch location and the light fixture wiring itself to determine, for each light, what new wires and switches are required and where to get the drawings.

Back