Red or White Oak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhamel

Reaction score
I'm about to put hardwood in my kitchen, and I'm planning to feather it into the existing hardwood that runs throughout the rest of my first floor. To my untrained eye, I thought it looked like #2 White Oak. I had a reputable pro in to give me a quote to finish the floor, and he was sure this was the same red oak used in new construction. I think new construction is usually 'select grade', but this looks like a lower grade to me.

A second opinion would be greatly appreciated!

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, that is the best site I've seen on the topic so far. I'm more convinced that this is white oak; however, since the local pro seemed convinced that it's red, I'd love to get some validation.

The comments at wood-database.com said to try vinegar and steel wool. I tried that overnight, and it did turn dark brown, however other sites seem to indicate this would be the case whether it's red or white-- I'm not sure if it's really a valid substitute for sodium nitrite. The rays also seem a little long for red.

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

I would pick up a sample or two of each. If you are going to feather it in, you will be sanding any. Sand a spot down and stain the two samples and a peice of the old stuff with the stain you are going to use and see which matches best

Back