DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Garage foundation Leak

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:43 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 418 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The OSB may be serving a double purpose, and while the obvious is backing for the brick, it may as well be a shear element, so unless you have or can obtain the original set of plans to ascertain that, that is the 2nd reason not to cut the OSB from the inside.

Stop by the building dept. and ask to speak with a senior inspector. Address your concerns regarding the water coming into the garage under the sill, and casually ask about weep holes at the bottom of the brick veneer and could an inspector stop by to have a look.

Municipalities, generally, offer at a charge, a code enforcement inspection, and it may come to that.

In your synopsis of concerns you registered mail to the contractor, address your concerns by issue and by paragraph. Be sure to thank him for addressing the above the entry water intrusion.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:33 AM  
Jwinston
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good morning,

I was checking the weep holes around the house more thoroughly, and it seems that they are not open all the way through the wall. I added a picture. Is his how it supposed to be ? I assumed they should be open to let the water out and keep things dry. Couldn't find any info on line in regards how deep they are supposed to be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	14973  

Old 10-27-2017, 09:04 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 418 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A lot of things in life are directly related to the effort you put into it, and instead of actually face to cace communication, you "elected" to go on-line.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2913 Times on 2554 Posts
Likes Given: 4798

The weep holes are for moisture that wicks thru the brick.
As you started out with a roof leek, we would expect water to get on both sides of the wrap, behind the brick and inside the house.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:19 PM  
HandymanHawaii
HawaiiHandyman
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinston View Post
Hello,

I have a 2 year old home. There is a water penetration during heavy rain in the garage. Some water drips from the ceiling causing puffy area on the OSB sheathing and some water seems to come out from the sill plate( I think its normally permeable to water). The water from the ceiling might be coming from the roof that is over the porch which is connected to the base of the ceiling (it below the main roof of the house). I am having hard time with the builder, as no one sees anything serious about it, and no one is willing to find the root of the problem. Since I mentioned the roof, they will only send some roofers to inspect the issue.

My concern is having mold and deterioration of the sheathing.

Is it common for water to trough the sill plate?

Is it worth calling Tarion as they might keep the deposit if the item is not warrantable?

What kind of professional can I contact to assess the damage and the cause?

I added a few images:

1. Showing a month difference between the water penetration from the sill plate (not sure if the black cloudy are is mold now)

2. The corner of the foundation (inside and outside)

3.Ceiling from where the water comes down.

If you have any suggestions about the matter, it would be greatly appreciated. I am not getting much action from the builder.

Thanks for reading
with concrete is different" water puddles in that area" you need to use an epoxy coating for strength............... lmk how that helps

Old 10-29-2017, 12:19 PM  
Jwinston
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you very much for all the responses. Extremely helpful.

People Like This