DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Best material for filling gaps and cracks in siding?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1447 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I have lived and painted clapboard siding my whole life. It has lived on your place for 100 years and it is supposed to look old and worn out. The fact that it has lasted that long is because air gets to the back side and keeps the wood in a constant state. We have places around here 100 years old that never even had paint on them. They look bad but they keep the weather out.

I use painters caulk on cracks on the faces and the joints at the ends. Pressure wash it good let it dry really good then scrape it and then with a sharpened putty knife shave the blunt edges down. Almost no one does that and it takes time but that is what the old timers taught me. Then prime and paint. I used to always use an oil primer and a latex top coats. That may be different now.

It is a lot of work and has to be done quite often. The old place we have now has 3 layers of siding on it and the bottom layer is the old wood stuff. The last layer was Ĺ inch fanfold insulation taped and then vinyl siding. It was done when we bought the place and Iím glad it was. I added a door and a few windows and when I went thru all the layers it didnít seem like the last layer sealing up the other two was causing any problems.

I know time wise it would be just as quick to put vinyl on it.

nealtw Likes This 
Old 07-21-2017, 03:59 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1021 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Stopped by my local box store and polyseamseal was on clearance for .95 cents a tube. I bought a couple cases.

nealtw Likes This 
Old 07-26-2017, 05:52 PM  
Mr_David
Easily Amused

Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Never, ever caulk the gaps under that siding
I would not caulk the bottom edge of the overlap.
I would caulk all the vertical seams, cracks and splits in boards.
I would scrap all the old caulk from where the boards overlap.
Moister that does get under the overlap is trapped if you caulk it and that will cause rot.

The wall are usually wrapped with a moisture barrier. Typically tar paper.
Just like a roof with shingles.

From what I heard about stucco. The stucco breaths on it's own. That is if you don't paint over it. I've heard that you shouldn't paint over it, but Plenty of people do.
Here in South Calif not a big issue because it's naturally dry here.

You can see how the previous caulk job failed along the lap joints.
The wood expands and contracts.
slownsteady Likes This 
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 AM  
pbesong
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It would take quite a bit of bondo, caulk, and paint to get that waterproofed and quite a bit of work to boot. if you can do vinyl siding yourself (which about anyone can do), I'd be tempted to pull it all off and replace it with that. I think I spent about $3k for materials to reside our house. it's not rocket science. there are plenty of youtube videos showing you how to do it.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1021 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I would like to reside it but will have to do it down the road. It needs some foundation work as well. I have a renter that wants to move in asap. We are putting a new roof on it this week and will probably paint it and call it good for a couple years, then when the renter moves out I'll do a big job to it.

nealtw Likes This