DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Anti-mildew paint or regular paint for kitchen?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:24 AM  
cshahar
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Anti-mildew paint or regular paint for kitchen?

Hi Everyone:

I am a first-time home-owner! I was just wondering whether I should use an anti-mildew or regular paint for the kitchen? I am hearing mixed opinions about it when referencing the subject on the web. Apparently newer paints are almost as good in resisting mildew, and it is therefore not necessary to buy special paint for the kitchen. Is that true? On the other hand, it may be preferable to get special paint for the bathroom, which I wont paint for another couple of months...

Thanks,

-Charles

Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 429 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The key to "environmentally friendly" is free air space.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:15 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2943 Times on 2579 Posts
Likes Given: 4843

It is less important if you use the hood fan when cooking and the bath fan when you bath or shower.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:06 PM  
DFBonnett
Retired decorating contractor
Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Unless there was a known issue, I never used mildew resistant paint in baths or kitchens. Never had any complaints or call backs for mildew.
joecaption Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have never worried about it in Kitchens just make sure its at least eggshell for easier cleanup. Bathrooms however really should be mildew resistant. I have been in sooooooo many baths with water run lines all over the walls because lack of putting the fan on, at least this way your covered

Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM  
Smythers00
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My 2 cents:

The key thing in controlling mildew is controlling moisture. So you have to take into account humidity in that room as well as regular use (steam from cooking/cleaning, etc.).
If you have good ventilation/air flow in your kitchen, then mildew shouldn't be a problem with regular, off-the-shelf products.

Yes, mold/mildew resistant surfaces (paint, caulking, etc.) will help out, get them if you really want to. But if you're not looking after the moisture/humidity levels in that particular room, there's only so much those products can do for you. Mildew is a lot like my brother-in-law... keeps coming back (and requires more money).

What you need to do (again, my opinion) is get your humidifier/dehumidifier in your furnace serviced regularly. Improve the ventilation in your kitchen - get a fan in there that is appropriate for the dimensions of the area of use. Understand where the moisture will build up, and how vapour in the air of that room will flow and work with that. There are automatic fan switches that will turn on/off given a certain level of humidity.

Things like that.

Hope that helped.