motion sensor switches

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subchief

Reaction score
We are currently remodeling the local American Legion and changing as much as possible to lower our utility bills. The 2 restrooms in the meeting hall share a wall and an exhaust fan. They each have and overhead flourescent light. Each restroom has one wall switch that appears to be a four way. When the switch is turned on in one room the exhaust fan comes on and the light for that room. The common exhaust fan comes on from either switch, but the light for only the room the switch is in. We would like to change these switches to motion activated timed switches. Can this be done?

Sounds like they are using double pole switches or some sort low voltage control system.

Here's wild idea. Photo sell turns on the fan. Put a photo cell in each room so that it turns on the fan when the light goes on.

Last edited:
Some motion sensors do not 'play well' with fluorescent lights. Read the instructions on the box to get the right ones. They draw a few volts at all times to power the sensor and may not leave enough voltage for the fluorescent light. I wired a fan and light (not fluorescent) off one sensor, but never as complicated as your situation. If it were my restroom, I would use JoeD's approach and separate the common fan from the room fixtures. Just my :2cents:

Latest posts

Back