Cabinet Fastening

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynace

Reaction score
Where should base cabinets be fastened? I'm putting them over tile. I know I fasten them together, but do they then get fastened to the floor, wall, or both?

If you need to, like an island you would screw down a block behind the kick so you can screw thru the kick into the block. Others with more experience will be along soon.

Like neal stated, screw em to the wall. Find the studs, level them up so the runs are all level across the kitchen.
You only need to srew islands and penninsulas to the floor, to a block.

Have fun watchin this guy,
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp9zl8Kw1uI&feature=related]Installing Kitchen Cabinets - YouTube[/ame]

Good video Inspector, but why does everyone from up north say ewt for out. Like, " I'm installing my cabinets and I'm going ewt to my truck for some more cabinet screws."

They don't need to be fastened to the floor?

I believe you should fasten them to the floor. You can do this by setting the base cabinet in place, plumb and level it, then draw a pencil line along the floor where the toe kick is. Now measure the thickness of the toe kick and draw a second line in from the first line the same thickness as the toe kick. Next screw a 2x4 slightly smaller than the cabinet width to the floor. Set the cabinet over the 2x4 and now you have something to fasten to.

Back