Roof design sanity check

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remout

Reaction score
I've got the following in mind for the ceiling/roof on the addition. I've got some old, freshly milled cypress to use for paneling above the open rafters. It's 1/2" X 6" X 16' boards. So from the inside out these would be the layers:

4X4 rough hewn cypress rafters 24" on center. I'll verify with building dept 24" is okay.
Above mentioned cypress, sanded and sealed side down
moisture barrier
2" strapping to fasten the metal roof to.
2" foam insulation, inside the strapping
metal roof

Do I have this right?

Last edited:
How long are the rafters? 4x4 may not be large enough depending on the span.
I think I would insulate to whole roof and then put the strapping over it. Use long screws right through foam into rafters.This give air space for ventilation under the metal.

You're right! The span is 11'7". Looks like I should be using 2 x 6 on 16" centers or 2 x 8 on 24"

Anything we build like that with living space , no ceiling, the rafters are 2x10 for insulation and then 2x4 cross stapping above for venting.

Anything we build like that with living space , no ceiling, the rafters are 2x10 for insulation and then 2x4 cross stapping above for venting.

I don't understand the "2x10 for insulation". Are you dropping down the decorative ceiling in between the 2x10 s to create a bit of space for insulation?

Thanks!

No the rafters are 2x10.
I think you want the look of the rafters exposed. To get that look we would have to build with 2x10, sheet the inside then add the 2x4 just for the look

Back