Main drain line leak or foundation leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isola96

Reaction score
This is in my sister-in-laws basement. Now I'm thinking that it's most likely the drain line that goes out to the septic tank that is cracked in between the cinder block wall then running down and out the crease between floor and wall because that's where there water sits.
Now the pipe and interior wall are dry but the brown stain underneath leads me to no other cause except foundation leak but the water is always there.

Now I haven't opened the clean out nor did i start digging the outside of the wall.

So should I start digging and hope the crack is on the outside or do I look in the clean out 1st?

Or
Acid wash the wall, scrap, clean and hydro cement the crack and put the rubber extreme drylock on the wall and hope for the best.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

image-1774320257.jpg

image-4029951320.jpg

I would start with the clean out and check the records on the septic tank and make sure that isn't backing up with bad weather.
I think you should dig up the outside of this area and see whats going on especially when it rains.

I will do that Neal, thanks alot for quick feedback

You may want to check the septic tank first, you don't want to open the clean out if the pipe is full:eek:

nealtw said:
You may want to check the septic tank first, you don't want to open the clean out if the pipe is full:eek:

I will, I think it was emptied not to long ago but will check it out, thanks again!

Even if the tank and field is working well, if the soil around the house has a high clay content, water will find it's way into desturbed soil around the tank and trenches, as these pipe are surounded by sand or gravel to protect them it can be a freeway for water to overload the perimeter drain system.

nealtw said:
Even if the tank and field is working well, if the soil around the house has a high clay content, water will find it's way into desturbed soil around the tank and trenches, as these pipe are surounded by sand or gravel to protect them it can be a freeway for water to overload the perimeter drain system.

Yeah true, I have to say they slap those drain lines through the foundation and don't look back afterwards.
I defently have to cross my Ts before I open the clean out, although all fixture drains fine I don't need any back flow. Eeellllkkk!!! Lol

Back