Supporting Attic Rafters

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenni10

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on the best way to support my attic rafters. From my recent purchase, I have chosen to finally use my attic for storage. It only took me 10 years to get tired of using a storage facility for my stuff. I bought an attic lift and I have to say that I already love it. No more worries about where my stuff is or the weather damaging it. While moving things though, I realized that the rafters seemed a little weak. I just had my roof redone too. So, does anyone know an easy method to creating the right supports for my rafters?? I am trying to do this without calling in another expert... Thanks for your help!

I think you mean the ceiling joist not the rafters.
The only way to add support is to add walls below or increase the size of the joists.

You will get many detailed responses because it depends on your framing. Attic storage is done all the time without damaging the house.

I have seen people nail down sections of plywood onto the joists (a full sheet is too big to get up there). This adds strength laterally and does distribute some of the vertical load. Light boxes should not be an issue. A mountain of books is not good anyway because the heat will kill the books. Of course, you NEVER put plywood down over a wire that would be sandwiched between the plywood and the top of the joist!

However, a picture of your attic would help to determine the framing design. Do you live in snow country? What do you plan on storing?

Hope we can help you! :D

Latest posts

Back