Kitchen looks like it was painted with a broom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choctaw

Reaction score
I have never painted a wall in my life. The previous owner painted the kitchen all white and it has so many streaks in the paint it looks like it was painted with a broom. What is the best way to remove the streaks and prepare it for new painting? Sand it or use chemicals? Also since I have never painted anything in my life, can I get some tips on how to avoid results with so many streaks? use brush only, roller only both? I'm afraid I might just end up making it worse, but I can't afford to pay anyone to paint.

Thanks for any tips.

I would think a light sanding to remove the streaks would work and then wiping it clean to make sure there is no dust remaining.

Paint rollers tend to get better results for a smoother finish than some paint brushes. There are different types of rollers with different textures. You can test results on a scrap piece of wood. Check to see if the paint you are planning to apply needs a primer.

With a paint roller, you can do a W and overlap rather than just going straight up and down. youtube might have some videos on good painting techniques. I can't check it out right now because of my ISP's bandwidth restrictions.

Hopefully someone with more experience painting can give you more advice.

The question is, are the streaks on the wall or in the wall? Are they part of the paint that's on the wall or are they part of the finish on the wall?
Depending on which requires a different approach.

beachguy is on the right track. If the streaks (or grooves or whatever you want to call them) are actually caused by some paint being more thickly applied, you have raised bumps that can be scraped off. But if the grooves are somehow dug into the wallboard, you'll have to fill those grooves with drywall compound. Even if it's paint, it may be easier to fill than to scrap or chemically remove the paint.

Then get yourself a decent roller and a high quality paintbrush or two. Painting isn't hard, but like most things, you get better with practice.

beachguy is on the right track. If the streaks (or grooves or whatever you want to call them) are actually caused by some paint being more thickly applied, you have raised bumps that can be scraped off. But if the grooves are somehow dug into the wallboard, you'll have to fill those grooves with drywall compound. Even if it's paint, it may be easier to fill than to scrap or chemically remove the paint.

Then get yourself a decent roller and a high quality paintbrush or two. Painting isn't hard, but like most things, you get better with practice.

Hey, watch out now:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back