Bathroom fan/light question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poorvdub

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, first time poster here. I am a new home owner and new to the remodeling world. I look to be very active in here in the next few months as I redo the bathrooms and kitchen in my house. I have started with the bathroom and would like to make some changes.

My current set up

One wall switch that operates just the fan
One wall switch that operates a wall mounted light

So I am curious if there is a simple way to buy a fan with a light in it for additional lighting. What I would like is to have each option run independently as follows

One switch to operate fan
One switch to operate fan light
One switch to operate wall light

Is this possible with out having to run additional wiring from my switch to the fan?

That wouldn't be to hard in theory but it's more then I plan on having to do and would rather not tear out any drywall to do so.

I appreciate the advise in advance
Thanks,
JB

Sounds like you will need to run a wire to the fan unless you got lucky and someone planned ahead for you.

Have you checked inside the wall box yet? It is possible the extra wire already exists. If so, you can split the circuit, get a three-gang box and add the new switch ... easy peasy. You understand you need to cut the wall a bit and use an old work three-gang box ...

Absent the pre-existing wiring, the simple answer to your question is NO. That is not a death sentence. If you can access the wiring from above, it is easy to drill a new hole in the top plate and fish a new wire down to your "new" three-gang box. The other end goes to your new fan/light fixture.

BTW, the typical bathroom fixture has separate wires for light and fan. All you need to do is wire the hot leg to one, hot leg to the other, wire nut all neutrals (white ) together. ALSO, remember the grounds need to be joined too.

PROP.jpg

When you open the switch box you will find black and white wires, you are hoping that one set also has a red that isn't being used.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have easy access from above would have to cut drywall and drill top plate and then pull some more drywall to drill through studs. So it seems a little much for a small bathroom remodel and just to get a light to run separate on a fan. I haven't pulled the switch to see if anyone has planned ahead. I will do that this evening. Thanks again

OK if you don't have access from above how was the fan going to work. And don't give up so fast, there are tricks like cutting fist size holes that are easy to patch. Bathrooms should have fans.

So this fan vents directly through the vaulted ceiling. Only void space is between the rafters. I am sure they used some short duct work to connect. This brings me to another question. Is there a top plate since I am transitioning between my wall and the vaulted ceiling? If not then that makes it a little easier I guess. But still I would have to go through to wall studs on the horizontal run up the wall and then through at least one rafter/roof joist.(which is proper?) I guess though the wire to power has already been run there so I can follow it and make it just a little larger if I can locate it.

Last edited:
There are a few ways to build a wall to a vaulted ceiling. There should be a top plate but there may also be two at the height of the outside walls. Often all the walls are the same height and finished after the roof is framed. You may be able to find it by tapping on the wall or using a stud finder.

Back