Outlet problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viviene18328

Reaction score
I installed a new ceiling light and 6 new outlets in a bedroom. For a period of three months these all worked fine. Then the breaker for this room tripped. As the breaker was the original one (home is 38 years old) the first thing I did was replace the breaker. This didn't solve the problem.

The next thing I did was check the wiring in the ceiling light fixture to make sure that the wire nuts were secure. They were.

The next thing I did was check all the outlets to make sure that the wiring was all secure. I used outlets where the wires push in through the back and are secured with screws on the side of the outlet with the ground wire in the lower left corner of the outlet. All the wiring was secure.

At a loss as to where the problem was, I replaced all the outlets. After doing this I turned the breaker back on. Success! All the outlets worked as did the ceiling light.

I turned the breaker back off and proceeded to push the outlets back into place (the outlet boxes are original to the house and are metal). I secured the outlets in place and put the outlet wall covers back on.

I turned the breaker back on and it tripped.

What would my next step be?

You probably have a short between the gold screw head on the side of the outlet (with the black wire going to it) and the bare ground wire.

I have found that when you push in the box, the wires curl and can create the short with the ground wire.

I'd pull the outlets back out of their boxes and push them in one at a time.

The outlet that trips the breaker when pushed back in is your prime suspect.

Back