Shingling over an old roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Florida we can not install over two layers...Miami Dade codes states we have to tear off if two layers or more to install metal. Good luck.

Saw that there is a discussion about shingles and old roofs. Our roofing company in Kansas City has some great articles about this and other related roofing questions and concerns. Personally shingles over an old roof are not the perfect answer but can be done and last quite a bit still.

Along with the other 101 reasons you should not do a job like this, I don't believe and shingle company would back up their warranty on the product.

In other words there would be no warranty on the shingles from the moment you put them down.

Along with the other 101 reasons you should not do a job like this, I don't believe and shingle company would back up their warranty on the product.

In other words there would be no warranty on the shingles from the moment you put them down.

Shingle MFGs will and do warranty their product when applied as a nail over. They have instructions on how to do it.

Is this a good method of installation...NO

Will I have a warranty...YES

Will I compromise the life expectancy of my roof...YES, diminished by at least a third.

Will I get a good value...NO, when you look at the cost of shingles in the future, increased labor, you will pay significantly more in the long run.

Back