Wood slab vanity top installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bojangles

Reaction score
I'm finishing a wood slab and would appreciate advice on mounting. It's 7' long, 2.5" thick with varying widths between 20"-10". Total weight of slab with vessel sink/faucet will be around 95lbs. Brackets will screw directly into studs through drywall. Any advice on appropriate brackets to use?

Thanks!

does the slab end touch the end walls ?

If the slab is free floating, you will need to bolt hefty steel L-brackets to the studs along the run of the top. You can notch the studs to recess the attachment for later wall finishing. I would suggest getting these brackets fabricated ... this is not your Home Depot "off the shelf" hardware.

You can finish the drywall so the stud bolts do not show.

No, both ends are open. I was thinking about using well made corbels.

I have seen one being done, but it was just the guys idea and I never herd how it worked out but he welded 1" steel rounds to a 1/4" x 3" x 48" steel bar and bolted that to the stud behind, he did 3 or 4 of these and did the drywall around them. Like I said, that's all I saw and I don't know what he was using for a deck.

I have seen one being done, but it was just the guys idea and I never herd how it worked out but he welded 1" steel rounds to a 1/4" x 3" x 48" steel bar and bolted that to the stud behind, he did 3 or 4 of these and did the drywall around them. Like I said, that's all I saw and I don't know what he was using for a deck.

I purchased a free floating shelf which had this exact bracket and once installed, was completely hidden from view. It made for a real slick installation.

that is a beautiful piece of wood. What are you protecting it with?

That’s a very nice job.

You never told or showed us what you used to mount it?

Sorry I don't have any photos of the corbels- my friend took the photos, and I don't have a camera. I bought 5 maple corbels from Tyler Morris Woodworking, using various sizes due to the irregular widths of the vanity. Will post photos of them as soon as I can. I was happy with the results!

The corbel photos I promised.....long ago!
And I KNOW the exposed plumbing looks bad......I'll get to it before I'm dead.....

IMG_3544.JPG

IMG_3543.JPG

Back