Cratering in our Driveway Different from Every other Driveway in Development!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in my limited experience, scaling causes can usually be laid at the door of too much water in the surface paste,,, when finishing, you'll see finishers using the mason's brush to ' bless ' the mud,,, this adds wtr to the top of the conc making it easier to finish,,, i learnt this from italians but have noticed all nationalities do the same,,, this means either everyone's eyetralian at heart or something else about which i have no idea :beer:

I'm not sure; send her over and I'll evaluate....;)

If you're serious, I'll check her schedule. But a warning--she insists on flying first class, so be prepared to pay for a pricey ticket. And just a cheap room for $300 or so ought to be adequate.

most reasonable people have a good understanding of how fed &/or most government agencies perform assigned duties & fulfill their responsibilities - they build empires, expand budgets, have meetings, conduct studies ( often of subjects previously studied ad nauseum ), & obfuscate,,, the personnel often have failing memories & rarely lose their jobs,,, somehow records become ' lost ', or simultaneous hard drives crash inexplicably,,, MORE RARE is the government lout who gets sentenced to prison tho richly deserved but, instead, is allowed to retire or transfer

imo, by now, most have more faith in the private sector where there are more responsibilities AND proportionate consequences,,, but perhaps i degress

You're confusing "digressing" with "anti-government ranting." How you justify working that into a concrete driveway scaling thread is quite a stretch.

And besides--what happened to the truce?

Stadry ; You came close but, how about a full set of instructions and the products to be used. this is a diy site. With the right research the OP may decide to hire a pro but at least he will know something about he is taking about.

Bridgeman. How about some help with the fix and get over the engineership. Write your instructions with product names

........................................................ Put yourselves in the shoes of the OP and go back and read all the posts and see how frustrating that must be. Neal.

it appears the stain's shallow because of the scaling - see the white cpot ? we own rotary deckcrawlers w/carbide teeth so we'd use 1 of those ( aurand ) to remove the scaling,,, IF the surface of the d/w's totally s***, we'd run a walk-behind scarifier ( edco ) over it then overlay the d/w.

tools - bosch bulldog w/1" or 2" brick chisel to remove scaling,,, ' CLR ' for the rust stain,,, acid-wash the d/w w/muriatic 1:8 wtr pickling solution, rinse, then neutralize remaining acid w/1:8 wtr solution out of the std plastic garden watering thingie,,, 3,500psi p/w will clean well - better if you can find a turbo nozzle for it ( faster & more complete cleaning ),,, apron store ' cement-all ' for an overlay product ( we used it for bdge deck jnt reprs 25 yrs ago for va dot & i still drive over them on the way back to upstate ny

we use elitecrete but there are other good materials,,, i'd advise to avoid mtls which have the installer add polymer on-site,,, the just add wtr mtls are MUCH easier to use + they offer less opportunity to f up,,, other'n that, grab a stiff push broom - some use a squeegee to lay down the stuff but i like the broom as 1 can texture in the broom finish while installing the polymer-modified o'lay,,, its a technique we fancy we developed but some other guy out there's done the same & probably wants the credit for himself :) so be it

ooops, color - they use white cement in these mixes so you'll need to experiment to find YOUR color- sher-wms sells wtr-bas'd pigments & will even put it in a NEW can for you,,, find the color grey you want & buy a pint,,, add pigment to mix wtr FIRST then add bagg'd mix,,, you might f up a bog or 2 @ 1st but you'll soon get the idea + its only for the base coat which will be cover'd up,,, sealing conc o'lays is optional as w/any conc work -euclid, meadows, basf, & prosoco are 4 good sources

i'd feel much more optimistic re the op's success IF he stays OUT of the apron store as those jabonies don't know dick about conc ( apologies to concretemasonry who is a valued contributor to this forum )

probably should incl a disclaimer - my monitor's horrible & all we've got for info is what the h/o sez [ oy ! ] nevertheless, good luck !

neal, leave bdge alone & GET OFF MY A**,,, you aren't the boss of me ;-) MY boss is still upstairs in bed - sleeping,,, have a nice day !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back