Over-wintering Japanese Maple

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngieR

Reaction score
Last year I had an overgrown ash tree cut down in my small back yard. I'm planning to replace it with a smaller Red Dragon Japanese Maple which I have already purchased but probably won't be able to get into the ground this year as we're slowly hacking away at the remaining stump ourselves. It's taking longer than we thought it would; the roots are a huge tangled mess (both above and below ground) that go a bit deeper than anticipated. The Maple tree is about 2 feet tall and in an 8-9 inch plastic pot. Would the tree survive a winter outdoors if I plant the pot in the ground, or can I take it inside for the winter? If it can be left outside should it be covered with burlap? I'm in zone 5.

Thanks for any advice.

Last year I had an overgrown ash tree cut down in my small back yard. I'm planning to replace it with a smaller Red Dragon Japanese Maple which I have already purchased but probably won't be able to get into the ground this year as we're slowly hacking away at the remaining stump ourselves. It's taking longer than we thought it would; the roots are a huge tangled mess (both above and below ground) that go a bit deeper than anticipated. The Maple tree is about 2 feet tall and in an 8-9 inch plastic pot. Would the tree survive a winter outdoors if I plant the pot in the ground, or can I take it inside for the winter? If it can be left outside should it be covered with burlap? I'm in zone 5.

Thanks for any advice.

I would think a Japanese maple should be fine outdoors over the winter. But, I would talk to a local nursery.

Latest posts

Back