is this a load bearing wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justdoitalready

Reaction score
I can see a big beam sitting on that 4x4 vertically and two smaller attached to the big beam parallel to the wall, so it makes me think its a load bearing wall.... But I dont know much about it, there is no attic acsses to check unfortunately.

Thank you!

20160718_204511.jpg

20160718_204502.jpg

20160718_182506.jpg

20160718_182513.jpg

20160718_201432.jpg

20160718_204455.jpg

Welcome to the site.
At first glance I would say it is load bearing but to prove it we would have to see more. When they put a beam in like that they usually go as far as they can before it gets really expensive with the size of the beam.

Welcome to the site.
At first glance I would say it is load bearing but to prove it we would have to see more. When they put a beam in like that they usually go as far as they can before it gets really expensive with the size of the beam.

What else do you need to see ( I can get more pictures tomorrow)
if it is a load bearing do i need an engineer to calculate the size of the header board then if I want to remove that 4x4?

What else do you need to see ( I can get more pictures tomorrow)
if it is a load bearing do i need an engineer to calculate the size of the header board then if I want to remove that 4x4?

You would need to open the ceiling to see the size of what you think is a 4x4.
If this is the top floor, no attic what style of roof do you have.
If you have a basement or crawlspace below, what is directly below?

I was calling 4x4 that you can see has all those boards stacked on top of it, I can see 10"-12" beam laying on top of this 4x4. This is flat roof condo, no basement, below is another unit and they have the same wall.

I was calling 4x4 that you can see has all those boards stacked on top of it, I can see 10"-12" beam laying on top of this 4x4. This is flat roof condo, no basement, below is another unit and they have the same wall.

It all depends on how the ceiling/roof was constructed.
If it is like the first photo, it is load bearing.
If it is like the second photo it my not be load bearing.

images111111111.jpg

images22222222.jpg

Back