Electrical code

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

Reaction score
Soon I have to wire a 2nd floor addition from the panel. Can anyone direct me on site to read typical code? My town inspector told me to just Google it. I can wire , I just put in a 200 amp underground dyi. What I'm looking for is spacing height/ between recepticel , I know Co smoke in every bedroom , what's up with bathroom gfci code , he told me I can run 14ga for lights and outlets and not to do 12ga for outlets it's overkill and not code , true? Is there a spacing between staples? Ect...

Add your location. Code are different in Canada than in the USA.
In Canada the bathroom you were given is correct. It is not correct for USA.

To answer few of your questions.
Bedrooms require a receptacle within 6 feet of a door and then every 12 after that. You can put them closer if you wish. Any section of wall 24" or wider must have a receptacle.
There is no height limit. They can be in the floor if you want.
Cable must be fastened within 12" of the box and then every 4.5 feet after that. Going through a hole in a stud counts as being fastened.
There are AFCI and tamper resistant requirements as well.

14 gauge from switch to light only. on 1 light

ALL home runs should be 12 gauge

12-2 with ground for plugs

rule of thumb.."only thing 14 g is good for, tieing the ladder down on the pipe rack"

just my opinion

The gage of the wire is determined by the size of the fuse or breaker, not if it’s a light or outlet. The wire has to take the current needed to trip the breaker or blow the fuse. If you have 20 amp breakers you need #12 wire. Example if something shorts out in your light fixture even though the light might only draw 1 amp. The short will draw a lot of amps. You want the breaker to trip not the wire melt.

You don't need to find and use an online version of the NEC to do basic wiring of an addition. The code can seem pretty confusing if you're not used to reading it. A better option is to just pick up something like a Black & Decker home wiring book. They give you all the basic information you need for your project, explained well, and you keep it as a future reference.

Back