artificial stone?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leal

Reaction score
Hey guys, im going to try and put man made stone in my living room.
One wall is where the chiminey is and the other wall is next to it. My q is this,
do i stick the stone to plywood or what? What is the best looking man made stone u have seen?
Thanks

Hello Leal:
A barrier of polyethylene, cement backer board, then the stone.
Man made stone varies all across the country. It has very high shipping cost so, it may be best to find something made near your home and pick the best looking from that. If the fireplace has stone on it now, you could take a picture of it and try to match it.
In my area there is a brick company that makes bricks 3/8" thick and can match several colors and styles of brick. That might be an option if your fireplace is brick, just remember the shipping cost.
Limestone rip-rap (stones measuring 3 1/2" to 6") is available almost anywhere in the world and, when laid artistically, it makes a nice looking wall. It may also be the most economical to use since you buy it by the ton on a dump truck.
Let us know how you come out and we love pictures.
Glenn

here in pa we put a wire mess on wall skim coat and then lay stone once you know what you are doing it is preaty easy here is a pic of the gas fire place I did in my house I am looking for the pics where it shows how I started but here are finished ones

100_1220.jpg

100_1230.jpg

I have it outside, on the front of my house. One tip - Try and minimize cuts. The surface of the 'stone' looks like stone. The cut edge looks like concrete. Manufacturers make special pieces to go around edges and stuff but they cost a premium.

Latest posts

Back