One Word Game

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really?
My kids are, physicist, chemist ( married to puter programmer), CPA, and engineer (married to MBA cum laude) . Wife college instructor. I'm just dumb ol country boy raised in town, dropped outta college to raise nerds, design packaging and bend nails, pay bills. Not at same time. Bought $50 55 ford to find job, had to keep working to keep car running.

On topic; based on Prometheus word is now '"hubris"

You may be country but my feeling is that you are not dumb. :cool:

I guess I was and am curious about whatever comes in front of me, so I study up on it so the next time I see it I'm prepared. It's kind of like your body developing antibodies to a disease it encounters for the first time.
And I might actually remember some of what I read.

Physics, statistics, symbolic logic and decision theory are especially useful, and unless you live on a desert island you should have countermeasures to the head games that other people play.
Symbolic logic can shoot holes through almost everything almost all politicians say, all the time.

I don't know how these "Good Will Hunting" types in Mensa, etc., view the world and maybe I don't want to know. Very few of us can stand the whole truth, just like Jack Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men."
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-veiled-statue-at-sais/

I think by now your car has paid for itself.
I have a '94 Civic and I am getting symptoms that the head gasket has again failed, and the factory service manual I bought for it 18 years ago has seen better days.
IIRC replacing the CV joints/shafts took me 13 hours in the driveway.
And the horn doesn't work anymore so that is worth a few hours of troubleshooting and a new part. I don't think contact cleaner will do it for this one.

Edit: compression on one cylinder is 165 and another one is way over that. Head gaskets cost from $32 (generic) to $110 (from Honda). I guess I will be out in the driveway for a few hours, sometime soon.

Last edited:
Stick your head out window and yell, "Get out of the way!"

Sold the $50 dollar Ford for $75, and it had blown head gasket. Was the small college town car, got passed down from graduating class to class. May still be there for all I know.

Iget interested in most unimportant things. Recently read 1500 page book on sulfer mining, technical stuff. didn't need to know any of it, incredibly boring, incredibly interesting.

Back in college days, Biology Major, read a scientific paper, in the middle of it researcher said, " It would be interesting, but not important to know..." about something that he'd noticed along the way. I thought that was great philosophy.

We had '94 Civic, replaced CVC's, really had to pull on wheel to get shaft out. In those days had to buy joints, couldn't find rebuilt axle assembly.

You may be country but my feeling is that you are not dumb. :cool:

I guess I was and am curious about whatever comes in front of me, so I study up on it so the next time I see it I'm prepared. It's kind of like your body developing antibodies to a disease it encounters for the first time.
And I might actually remember some of what I read.

Physics, statistics, symbolic logic and decision theory are especially useful, and unless you live on a desert island you should have countermeasures to the head games that other people play.
Symbolic logic can shoot holes through almost everything almost all politicians say, all the time.

I don't know how these "Good Will Hunting" types in Mensa, etc., view the world and maybe I don't want to know. Very few of us can stand the whole truth, just like Jack Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men."
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-veiled-statue-at-sais/

I think by now your car has paid for itself.
I have a '94 Civic and I am getting symptoms that the head gasket has again failed, and the factory service manual I bought for it 18 years ago has seen better days.
IIRC replacing the CV joints/shafts took me 13 hours in the driveway.
And the horn doesn't work anymore so that is worth a few hours of troubleshooting and a new part. I don't think contact cleaner will do it for this one.

My wife refers to me as a sophisticated redneck.

That being said the word is

intelligence

(Sean Connery was the best)

Last edited:
Jelly

Cause jam don't shake like that.

Bonus point- Who first portrayed James Bond on screen?

Coin

One bonus point for you. Unless you already knew that, you'd have to look it up.
I had read it long ago but forgot till I was Googling for some 007 response.

Bonus 2-- Ian Fleming was in naval intellegence in WW2, he wasn't a spy, but "ran" some operations. ( He came up with the idea of letting a dead officer wash up on Spain's coast with "secret plans" in his dispatch case.) In the late 30's he ran a group of intellgence gatherers, and public opinion experts that included actor Leslie Howard. What country were they spying on?

Neal knows his useless info. The group started off as PR to sway US to sell arms and support Britain. Then began to assemble info on manufacturers, then on US military, one of them became "toy boy" of a US representative (female). Been a while since I read book about the whole thing, besides Flemming and Howard, I think two of the others were, or became, well known personages, that most folks wouldn't associate with espionage, especially against US.

Want another bonus? Holywood film fatale and box office smash, invented secret weapon that wasn't used in WW2, US Govt afterwards used it without telling her, patent lapsed and technology is now in wide use, probably every day by you and me. She never got a dime or recognition that some that used her idea did.
Her name, technology, and todays uses?
( Bonus bonus... She did sue somebody but not because of that, she lost. Who'd she sue?)

Why not Sophia Loren as Bond? I dunno, because she didn't have British accent?

But from all that, skipping right over coin, the word is now....Bombshell.

Last edited:
That's Hedly!
last word you said was "court."

word is now...woo.

When I think of woo, first thing comes to mind is Back to the Future, so Delorean

Romani? That'd be ...Gypsy

( Wonder if Mitt has a Delorean parked between those couple of Cadillacs his wife drives. How does she do that anyway, mebbee ones got right hand drive and she reaches out the window. Woo woo woo woo, n'yuk, n'yuk n'yuk.)

Back