DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > How to tighten these nuts?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:39 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1580 Times on 1207 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Adjustable wrenches should only be used as a last resort. They tend to ruin nuts.
I can see how they could ruin your nuts, but most of the time they ruin my knuckles.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:55 PM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 105 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I have a few socket wrenches and socket sets I've accumulated over the years. For this type of job I'd use two of them: one to hold the nut still and the other to crank the bolt.

About acquiring tools: a high quality used tool is better than a low quality new one. If I have time I always stop at garage sales to check and see if they're selling any tools or other hardware.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:10 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1161 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover View Post
I have a few socket wrenches and socket sets I've accumulated over the years. For this type of job I'd use two of them: one to hold the nut still and the other to crank the bolt.

About acquiring tools: a high quality used tool is better than a low quality new one. If I have time I always stop at garage sales to check and see if they're selling any tools or other hardware.
Some of my favorite and most useful tools came from my fathers tool draw. I sometimes wonder if they're worth anything.
Flyover Likes This 
Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 AM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 105 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Yup. When my grandfather turned 92 he suddenly realized he probably wasn't going to get a lot of use out of many of his hand tools/hardware anymore, and he encouraged me to take anything I wanted. I had plenty already and was low on storage space, but he had picked up a lot of cool hand-powered stuff (drills, planes, etc.) from Amish country flea markets over the years, and I brought that home. His old egg-beater drill is my favorite tool, and I use it all the time.