DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Automatic Gate Openers ?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:12 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1422 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Is his truck running?

zannej Likes This 
Old 07-20-2016, 06:50 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3054 Times on 2673 Posts
Likes Given: 5050

zannej, I think you have a sit com show, a diary might be worth a fortune.

zannej Likes This 
Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 PM  
zannej

Liked 521 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 3094

His truck has still not been fixed as far as I know. Or if it is, he hasn't made an effort to get it.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:17 PM  
zannej

So, we ordered the Tractor Supply Mighty Mule 360 with 5w solar panel bc it was on sale. Comes with 3 remotes. I've heard the mounting screws strip easily (so I'll find some sturdy galvanized ones instead), but that the rest of it is good. It will hold 550lbs/16ft gate.

I think think the most difficult part will be digging the trench for the underground wire to reach the solar panel-- I found a spot about 20 to 30ft away that gets good sunlight. Still need to either re-set/stabilize the existing post the gate hangs on or replace it. One of my friends who was going to help just lost his father, but the guy who's been cutting the trees is up for helping and the man who bought our tractor is also willing to help. We will probably get the automatic locking mechanism to keep trespassers from pushing the gate and breaking the opener.

My truck has a "homelink" thingamabob on the ceiling that can be programmed as a remote gate/garage door opener. Will just have to figure out how to deal with unexpected visitors and package deliveries. The house is over 200ft from the gate and the range for the intercom/keypad is 50ft.

One of the few things not included in the gate package was a 12v battery and box for the battery. So, I'm trying to pick a good combo. We want something reliable that will last but that won't be too expensive. The Mighty Mule brand batteries are not compatible with this gate opener. Any recommendations/suggestions?

Old 11-27-2017, 08:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
So, we ordered the Tractor Supply Mighty Mule 360 with 5w solar panel bc it was on sale. Comes with 3 remotes. I've heard the mounting screws strip easily (so I'll find some sturdy galvanized ones instead), but that the rest of it is good. It will hold 550lbs/16ft gate.

I think think the most difficult part will be digging the trench for the underground wire to reach the solar panel-- I found a spot about 20 to 30ft away that gets good sunlight. Still need to either re-set/stabilize the existing post the gate hangs on or replace it. One of my friends who was going to help just lost his father, but the guy who's been cutting the trees is up for helping and the man who bought our tractor is also willing to help. We will probably get the automatic locking mechanism to keep trespassers from pushing the gate and breaking the opener.

My truck has a "homelink" thingamabob on the ceiling that can be programmed as a remote gate/garage door opener. Will just have to figure out how to deal with unexpected visitors and package deliveries. The house is over 200ft from the gate and the range for the intercom/keypad is 50ft.

One of the few things not included in the gate package was a 12v battery and box for the battery. So, I'm trying to pick a good combo. We want something reliable that will last but that won't be too expensive. The Mighty Mule brand batteries are not compatible with this gate opener. Any recommendations/suggestions?
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.l...000794705.html

zannej Likes This 
Old 11-27-2017, 08:34 PM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Link didn't seem to work-- or rather, didn't have any of the batteries or wire. I found the wire actually-- 100ft of it. Just need appropriate conduit and the right box and battery.

There's this UPG 40790 Marine Smart Box for around $30
Or MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center box for around $50

So, the batteries would have to fit inside those. I think someone said the batteries can't have the terminals in the center or they interfere with closing or something like that.

Granted, I could get a simpler/cheaper box that has holes on the sides for wires to run up into, but that would risk critters and bugs getting in too.

Amazon keeps recommending MinnKota 12v 35AH Light Trolling Motor Battery that is about $64.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:40 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
Link didn't seem to work-- or rather, didn't have any of the batteries or wire. I found the wire actually-- 100ft of it. Just need appropriate conduit and the right box and battery.

There's this UPG 40790 Marine Smart Box for around $30
Or MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center box for around $50

So, the batteries would have to fit inside those. I think someone said the batteries can't have the terminals in the center or they interfere with closing or something like that.

Granted, I could get a simpler/cheaper box that has holes on the sides for wires to run up into, but that would risk critters and bugs getting in too.

Amazon keeps recommending MinnKota 12v 35AH Light Trolling Motor Battery that is about $64.
With camper we always used deep discharge but those are pricey and there are new batteries now. So, don't know.
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-27-2017, 08:50 PM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
With camper we always used deep discharge but those are pricey and there are new batteries now. So, don't know.
I should probably google search and find discussions of what other people use. Some said they used cheap batteries from Walmart. Others said they got marine batteries. Since I'm in a very humid area with a lot of rain, I will need water protection. Might throw in some of those moisture absorber baggies that come inside medicine bottles and stuff inside the box.

One thing that is slightly throwing me is that the boxes say they fit x sized batteries and I'm having a hard time finding descriptions that give the battery sizes for some of them.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:27 PM  
Chris

Any 12 volt battery will work. Their little battery will open your gate for a couple weeks before it needs a charge so it will take little maintenance. I never had a battery box I built a wood platform to keep it off the ground since that is not good for batteries and made a wood cap to cover it. I have installed a few of those and had one at my house for a year. Let me know if you need any other advice

zannej Likes This 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:27 PM  
Chris

No need to keep the battery completely dry. It shouldn't effect it

zannej Likes This