DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > How do I add a drawer here?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:40 PM  
farmerjohn1324
Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default How do I add a drawer here?

I can't seem to find anyone who sells individual drawers. Can I add one here to the right of the cabinet?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1104172135.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	15000  
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-04-2017, 09:26 PM  
zannej

Liked 519 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 3081

Yes. You can add one there. Rev-A-Shelf sells drawers. Or, if you're handy, you can make your own. You basically just make a box, put on a face, and put gliders on the side (or grooves that will fit over those wood strips and slide).

You can do dovetails for drawer joints if you want to make them sturdier. My father had to make quite a few drawers when he built cabinets years ago and also when we built his desk. Just get some tools to make sure the drawers are square and it's really not that difficult.

Let us know how things go!

slownsteady Likes This 
Old 11-06-2017, 12:32 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3053 Times on 2672 Posts
Likes Given: 5043

What's the plan. full width the drawer will run into the door. Ant thing less and we have to figure how the hang it.
Do you think you have the skills and tools to copy the end panel of that cupboard. After that 3 draws would be easy.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:01 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 291 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 182

For a completely prefab drawer, here is one from Lowe's. You could probably remove the front panel and add a wooden panel to allow you to paint it to match.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-29-5...rawer/50227195

Unless you really want to retain the open space below, why not install a paintable base cabinet in the space? You can get drawer units at the local home center, or look at a Habitat for Humanity Reuse Store for used cabinets.
People Like This 
Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1160 Times on 962 Posts
Likes Given: 1905

You can see if some of these will fit underneath the counter: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...isFromSWD=true
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-07-2017, 10:51 AM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 104 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
What's the plan. full width the drawer will run into the door. Ant thing less and we have to figure how the hang it.
Do you think you have the skills and tools to copy the end panel of that cupboard. After that 3 draws would be easy.
Full width was my first instinct too but then you'd only be able to open it so far before it smacks into the door (to the right in the photo). This means the door would have to be closed to open the drawer the whole way. That doesn't always happen in family life, so before long you'd have a dent or scuff in the door where the drawer is, and maybe a ding in the edge of the drawer face too.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover View Post
Full width was my first instinct too but then you'd only be able to open it so far before it smacks into the door (to the right in the photo). This means the door would have to be closed to open the drawer the whole way. That doesn't always happen in family life, so before long you'd have a dent or scuff in the door where the drawer is, and maybe a ding in the edge of the drawer face too.
Yeah you would put trhe gable away from the wall and blank the missing piece.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:45 PM  
farmerjohn1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I'm just gonna do a 2' wide drawer. The depth is about 21". I don't want a whole base cabinet, just a drawer.

The end panel is the right wall of the sink cabinet? I think the hardest (or impossible) part would be copying the color. The rest is just wood, right? Yes, I have the tools.

Last edited by farmerjohn1324; 11-07-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:47 PM  
farmerjohn1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky617 View Post
For a completely prefab drawer, here is one from Lowe's. You could probably remove the front panel and add a wooden panel to allow you to paint it to match.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-29-5...rawer/50227195
That's an option, but I would rather stick to wood if possible.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Most pre made draws will be 24" deep like for kitchen cupboard, in the bathroom 20" would be the deal.
So with that you would have to cut the draw and re install the back and buy new guides the right length.

With out a gable like the side of your cupboard you have to hang something from the underside of the top. That could be done but the material used for the counter top will pull apart real easy.
I thing you would be better to hone the skills and make the matching gable and build three draws.
A draw is noting more than 4 boards nail together with a peice of plywood nailed on the bottom. then you add a extra front to match. The with of a draw is 1" less than the opening. Rocket science

zannej Likes This