Sliding Patio Door with Ice issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottodo1

Reaction score
Hi,
2 years ago I replaced my flooring by my patio door (5 to 7 yrs old) and saw mold growing in an arc around the patio door. After replacing the carpet for duraceramic, this winter the door trim was pryed off the wall ~2inches by ice build up. I didn't think to take a picture of that unfort but when I removed the trim this is what I saw... What should I look for? I would assume the black rotting wood is bad, but is that due to the draft into the house? If the draft is the cause it already has insulation there so I'm not sure what else I need to do to seal the draft.

Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot this to identify the problem and resolve it would be appreciated.

IMG_20150502_230501177.jpg

Also going to need your location.
That picture of the outside is far more important then the inside.
Just a guess, slab, deck, stoop even with the threshold on the outside?
At least 90% of the time I find the door was installed wrong in the first place, lack of flashing, no sill pan.

I will add more pictures of the inside and of the outside. I'm on a basement this door does have a deck outside. It wouldn't surprise me if the door was installed incorrectly as I the windows were installed incorrectly.

Here are some more photos, any ideas would be really helpful.

IMG_20150505_192654630_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150505_192708137.jpg

IMG_20150505_192726798.jpg

IMG_20150505_192752055.jpg

IMG_20150505_192755340.jpg

a few more photos, the flashing above the window. The chaulking between the siding and the frame on the outside. The new proceedure would be much different than what you have but I don't think you will be to crazy about re-installing it.

I live in North Dakota so it's cold, (It iced worst when it was -30 for a week). Here's a few more pictures. Come on Neal you know I LOVE redoing things on this house... <-- Sarcasim... I actually don't mind doing things and learning how but I'd just like to not spend any more money...

The Caulk is pulled away on the left&right pretty badly but would that be enough to build up 2 inches of ice?

There is hail damage anyway, I've never done a sliding door but I' willing to try if it'd be easy to kill 2 birds with one stone.

IMG_20150509_220938223.jpg

IMG_20150509_221159701.jpg

I have never worked on one that has a wood threshold so I canb't tell you what you will find if you pull it. But what we can see is the vapour barrier on the inside is missing so you coukld have a condensation problem. But you also have no flashing over the door and not good caulking to the siding. But if this is only a problem in real cold weather, I suspect the condensation caused when warm moist air comes in contact with cold window frame on the inside.
It appears like you have vapour barrier, I would try sealing that to the window frame and stop the air flow. Red Tuck tape. And see if that helps next winter. As far as pulling the door, I hate fixing things that aren't broke. Re=caulk the outside.

Back