Granite Counter top and Base

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rseth123

Reaction score
Folks:

What do with base of the granite countertop? I had a good granite guy with whom we went double ogee but the base looks ugly. Any suggestions on how to cover it up and make it look nice even from the base?

CounterTop-1.jpg

CounterTop-2.jpg

Tile it. Get a good tile person and pick a small tile, we have done this before with fiberglass mesh.:welcome:

I would get some 1/4" thick mdf, trace the outline of the counter and cut it a 1/4" back or so, attach with construction adhesive (PL400 of PL Premium) and a few short nails, then paint the mdf. You could even give the edge a little round over ( a router works great for this, but you could probably hand sand it if you don't have one. How noticeable is it from eye level? It looks like they folded the fiberglass cloth over on the corners. Kind of ugly.

From eye level it is not noticeable but since we know it, i guess it bothers us!!

Everyone has the same thing with granite. It is normal. But usually with good granite companies, they never leave fiberglass tape on the bottom of the granite. Try to peal it off.

Back