Any Body Else?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldog:
Divine Providence QUOTE]

Nestor, is that one of the territories in Canada? Do they have a hockey team?

Another thing I could never figure out about Canada, you have areas that speak french, adore the Queen of England, use the metric and standard measuremet system and have crazy neighbors to the south that call football scocer. Are you ever confused? I know I am just from typing this.....

(Thank God you responded, Oldog. I was expecting a strong response from a lot of people from that last post about my birth being a gift to mankind, and then when no one responded I thought "OMG! They took me seriously!?!")

Divine Providence

Nestor, is that one of the territories in Canada? Do they have a hockey team?
No, Divine is a suburb of the capital city of Rhode Island. Yes, their ice hockey team is called the Providence Bruins, who are a farm team for the Boston Bruins.

Providence Bruins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another thing I could never figure out about Canada, you have areas that speak french, adore the Queen of England, use the metric and standard measuremet system and have crazy neighbors to the south that call football soccer. Are you ever confused? I know I am just from typing this.....

I was born confused.

I'm thinking about 2000 miles, give or take a few hundred.

map-canada.jpg

I live in Winnipeg, which is the dot near the bottom of the purple province in the middle of the country. The Olympics are going to be held in Vancouver, which is right at the bottom of the pink province on our Pacific coast.

So, it'd be about the same distance as from Omaha, Nebraska or Kansas City to San Fransisco. There's a mountain range that would have to be crossed by land in both your country and mine which would make the driving distance a lot longer than the flying distance.

Are you thinking of coming to the Olympic Games in Vancouver?

That's a weird map. Canada you say? Hmmmm. I'll have to purchase one of these Canadian maps.

TxBuilder:
That map was undoubtedly drawn by a Canadian.
Seriously, it's just cuz the lines of longtitude converge as you go north. So, when you straighten those lines out to draw a FLAT map, the northern land areas are exagerated in size relative to the southern land areas.

Canada and the US are very similar in land area. We're both very close to 3.5 million square miles in size (land only).
Similarities & Differences Between Canada & United States
But, except for Alaska, most of your "land" is soil that you can grow stuff on and that people can live on. Much of Canada's "land" area consists of bare rock and gravel cuz nothing grows on it so you don't get plant matter decomposing to form "soil" over it in the first place.

Here, maybe consider this map. It's a composite map of North America at night:

main_usa_night.jpg

It almost looks like a map of the United States. But Canada looks nothing like it does on a geographic map because most of our country is uninhabited.

That big population center on the south west shore of Lake Michigan is Chicago. North west of Chicago is Minneapolis, and about the same distance north west of Minneapolis is Winnipeg. We're along the north edge of the populated area of North America.

Oldog/Newtrick:
Yes, everything changes colour here when you go from one province to the next here. That's how we can tell if someone is from a different province.

PS: I have no idea why Peurto Rico is so bright at night. You wouldn't think they'd be lit up like that at night.

Last edited:
Peurto Rico lit up makes sense. It's an American Territory and they have all the benefits of American citizen ship (Electricity, Money,Hamburgers).

Man I hate rainy days. There ain't much roofin going on today with steady rain since early this AM. Spent the last 2 days( mon and tues sunny and warm) doing take offs on new construction plans now I sit at the house severly irrating my wife. Oh well, fire in the fireplace, hey its gotta be 5 o'clock somewhere...

Take off eh??
What fun, you have your lumber yard do one to back yours up on the material list too? Ahh the ol day's.
Are you using any software plans, or just old fashioned.

Lumber yard, lord no. Contemporary house with shingles, flat roofs and radius curved standing seam metal panels. Even the shingle houses can't do a take off. When we have a slate bid they'll send it off to Greenstone in VT or Ludiwici in Oh for tile. We are usually pretty close on dimensions.

We are old school with a architect scale and a full set of plans, pot of coffee and the dining room table. Makes for some good alone time.

Old fashioned, that's my only way also..if it works ,don't break it.:D

I just gave my neighbor a price to replace his old 24x24 garage, hip roof. It has a 4 foot ridge, wood shingle , with slats and 3 layers of asphalt 3 tabs and interlocks. Not to mention the rafters are 26 inches on center.:eek:

I told him 6400, he got pissy and has a guy to do it for 3200.:)
I can't wait to hear about the 4 ply goin down with no clips, and the shingles broke and could I look at it....should be about a 6 months till the knock on my door.:D Then the price doubles.

Old fashioned, that's my only way also..if it works ,don't break it.:D

I just gave my neighbor a price to replace his old 24x24 garage, hip roof. It has a 4 foot ridge, wood shingle , with slats and 3 layers of asphalt 3 tabs and interlocks. Not to mention the rafters are 26 inches on center.:eek:

I told him 6400, he got pissy and has a guy to do it for 3200.:)
I can't wait to hear about the 4 ply goin down with no clips, and the shingles broke and could I look at it....should be about a 6 months till the knock on my door.:D Then the price doubles.

Inspector, tell your neighbor to watch the TV show HOLMES ON HOMES...

nuff said.

OK, I've never been to the US, but the picture I've got in my head is something like this:

mickey-funky-surfer-monkey.jpg

Would that be close?

Nestor, where in the world did you get my spring break 1970 picture at? Dang, some things haunt you forever.....

Wow that is a cool map - Nestor
Don't mean to be dumb, but where is Peurto rico ?

Back