DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garage & Workshop Forum > What is the better option?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 AM  
Poseidon

I'm not sure. I'll do some digging this weekend and find out.

If this foundation ends up being ok to use, how much money am I actually saving by using it? Reason I ask is because I would prefer to have a garage a little bigger than this, but I could make this size work if it is a substantial savings over starting from scratch. If I do start from scratch, it would be a pole barn. I know you can build a larger pole barn for less money than a standard construction garage.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 AM  
havasu
Garage Junkie
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Unless that has an enormous footing, I'd bust it out and start over. You won't have any regrets.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:31 PM  
Poseidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Unless that has an enormous footing, I'd bust it out and start over. You won't have any regrets.
What is the purpose of having an enormous footing? Wouldn't whatever footing it has to build a house on be substantial enough for a garage?

Old 10-26-2016, 07:33 PM  
Poseidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
I'm not sure. I'll do some digging this weekend and find out.

If this foundation ends up being ok to use, how much money am I actually saving by using it? Reason I ask is because I would prefer to have a garage a little bigger than this, but I could make this size work if it is a substantial savings over starting from scratch. If I do start from scratch, it would be a pole barn. I know you can build a larger pole barn for less money than a standard construction garage.
^ ^ ^ Can anyone answer this question? Ballpark?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:43 AM  
mustanggarage
Garageaholic

if you want a 30 x 60 you are going to end up building twice in my opinion. basically the garage is never big enough. if you build on this foundation and build a 24x 48 you are going to have basically a large 2 car garage. I built a 40 x 60 and thought it was huge. now it is stuffed. I recommend building the 30 x 60 you are unlikely to be satisfied with the 24 x48 and end up wishing you had built the bigger garage in the long run. also since you are going to probably be building a floating slab. with I would guess 36 inch footings you will need to make sure all the ground in the middle of the footings are compacted properly to support the concrete. that is unlikely to have been done for a house or mobile home foundation. they would be building above this and not worried much about compacting that soil. I am no contractor, but I have built 3 garages and everytime the guys pouring the concrete spent a lot of time hauling in road base and compacting it to make sure the ground would not settle under the concrete. My suggestion. build the shop you want and do it right from the beginning.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 AM  
havasu
Garage Junkie
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Who is to say that was a foundation footing in the first place? Hell, it could have been a block perimeter rose garden. Have you yet to find out whether there is concrete under the blocks or not? This why I was trying to make sure it had a solid foundation.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:45 PM  
Chris
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Probably saving a couple thousand in materials and labor on that existing footing.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:45 AM  
Chris
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Were you ever able to dig down and check out the footing?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:12 PM  
jamesengland

It's adequate in size I thing. So you should build a strong structure with a road. Need to some tools for cars. you can go through some online site.
Best of luck.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 PM  
Gary
Liked 190 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Revived Thread. It would be nice to hear what the OP ended up doing.