DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > What kind of trim do I put on the side and back of this dishwasher?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 448 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky617 View Post
I don't think it is, especially if you have plywood under the granite. If you have a thick slab I believe they drill holes and glue in a threaded anchor point for the DW screws. At least I believe that is how it is done.
Exactly! It's the same process as in an undermount SS sink.

With the plywood you don't need the SDS masonry bits or the anchors.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 448 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
Doesn't the dishwasher only have 2 panels? Back and side? And maybe another in front to the right of the dishwasher that is a few inches wide to make room for the GFCI?

Is it at all necessary to anchor the DW to the ground? Or just the underside of the granite?
Typically, the boxes are installed horizontally, in the end panel, which makes them less aesthetically insulting.

The DW shape is rounded on the sides and with a 2 or 2-1/2 face frame gives you plenty of room for a standard box.

The DW sets on leveling legs and the top anchoring points are not just to hold them in place, they are also a tip over prevention.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 171

On my island I installed the electrical box inside the cabinet and then installed a plug strip on the underside of the countertop.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:39 AM  
farmerjohn1324
Liked 46 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky617 View Post
I don't think it is, especially if you have plywood under the granite. If you have a thick slab I believe they drill holes and glue in a threaded anchor point for the DW screws. At least I believe that is how it is done.
I just spoke with the granite guy. He said plywood is not necessary for this 3 cm granite.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:20 PM  
aNYCdb
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
Do you have a picture of this? I can't find anything on Google. I get the part about fastening the sink cabinet to 2x4's, but not how to fasten the dishwasher.
New dishwashers usually have flanges on them that allow you to connect them to the cabinet (or plywood next to them). Even if they don't the counter installers usually attach the counter to the top (there is a flat ledge just behind the door) of the dishwasher keeping it from moving.

I don't have a picture in an Island setting, but here's one from a traditional end setup. The difference being you will need a panel behind all this going from the sink cabinet to the corner. You would then either put finished panels on top to match the cabinet or do some other sort of decorative finishing (bead board, tile, etc...)
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault (1).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	15181  

Old Today, 09:21 AM  
mabloodhound
Restoration & Renovations
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My Bosch dishwasher had tabs on the side for attaching to the side cabinet/panel instead of the top. Worked fine.

Dave Mason