crimp splices

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbo

Reaction score
is it legal to use a crimp splice to repair a damaged wire. The wires insulation was cut by an ac installer and I found out that he repaired it with electrical tape, which I don't think is kosher, My other alternatives are to run new wiring or install a box and splice the wires inside the box with wire nuts, neither of which I want to do. The wire that was cut only feeds a ceiling light and is 14/2 with a ground

All splices need to be in junction boxes with covers.

There is a 3rd alternative, but slightly time consuming.

"The wires insulation was cut by an ac installer and I found out that he repaired it with electrical tape, which I don't think is kosher,"

While the quality of this repair is dependent upon the quality and wrap of the tape, it's not uncommon.

Was just the sheathing of the romex cut, or was the insulation on the individual conductors cut as well?

Unfortunately because the installer hit the conductors you will need to repair these as per code. The biggest reason is because if you ever have a claim to your home owners insurance for something that may happen in the future because of this issue your insurance may deny your claim. They try to deny claims for any reasons they can find. So it would benefit you to have this repaired correctly even if it costs you some money as it will cost you less now to repair it properly than have a claim denied later down the line.

There are "behind the wall" wire connectors that supposedly are approved for using behind the walls without a junction box but again I warn of the possibility that the insurance company may not look at it that way if ever a problem later.

Maybe if you take a few pictures of the situation; some up close and some from a distance we may be able to give you some ideas on repairs that will be good plus money saving. But again, don't go the cheap way out and just repair the conductors and hide them behind the wall.

Also you state the insulation of the conductor was cut and then later say the conductor was cut. Please also take a picture up close of the damaged conductor. Was the conductor cut straight thru?

Last edited:
Yes when I worked for a residential contractor, they liked using the approved splice kits to be buried in walls, only as a means of last resort though. One of the big box stores sells something similar to the ones I used, Tyco Electronics makes them. It basically looks like a quick connect, but once you connect them, you'll need to pry it open with a tool. They claim to be Code compliant.

Yes, they may be code compliant but again it is the home owner insurance company that may not accept them if a claim.

A little off topic if I may please; once I did some work for a GC. He was ripping out a divider wall in a store-front which was converted to a small church. He wanted his guy to take a sawz-all and just go horizontally across the wall at the top and bottom right thru the studs etc. I told him no, he needs to rip the sheet rock off the studs first to see if any power cables are behind the wall. Good thing he listened to me. There was a three phase line (live) behind the wall running vertically. And of course, guess what, it was a splice behind the wall. Yup, some yo-yo put wire nuts on the splice of the lines and left it be to be covered by sheet rock. It was 480/277V-Talk about an event to "light up your life"!!

Sounds like a horrifying hack job, and in a church no less. Terrible.

Back