Water Heater explosion (?)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yod12

Reaction score
I've had a leak in my laundry room for months. I thought it was the washer. Then I saw water on the floor from the water heater. The floor is soaked - and warped.

I can't see water leaking from anywhere. This is a pic of the top. I don't know what happened. The floor directly beneath it looks the same.

Water Heater May 2016.jpg

Last edited:
How old is the W/H?
Who installed It?
Is the W/H on the floor or on a raised platform?
Is there a drain pan under the W/H?
How do you know the leak is from the W/H?

If and when you replace it you should be replacing that old gate with a ball valve and bringing the install up to modern codes.
That relief valve without a line facing down into a drain pan would never fly.
That valve pops off and it's going to be blasting hot water all over the room and in your face when you try to shut off the water.

It looks like the TPR valve already puked on someone based on the crud coming out of it.

from the water damage to the walls. i think it is a dryer ven not vented

a pop off valve will leak till it is changed out, when they start, it does not stop.
it may go from blowing to trickle to drip

an unvented dryer is the same as spraying the walls with a hose when it is running
it aint nothing but high humidity water in steam form=water

Not enough info.
Plumbing, washing machine, water tank, dryer vent.

Back draft is also a possibility when the dryer is running at the same time as the water tank is heating.

Back