How severe is this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalbum

Reaction score
My cat is a moron and did this:

9UOdavU.jpg

drMqDgc.jpg

Is this fixable without my apartment replacing the WHOLE carpet? I'd like them to never know about it.

Thanks

I'd hire a carpet guy and see if they can stretch it enough to reapply the threshold.
Or see if you can find a threshold termination strip that will apply to the edge and cover the damage.

th.jpg

+1

It won't stretch there and it will just continue to fray. Snip the loose areas back and you can melt the webbing a bit to keep it from unraveling any further. After that, put the transition strip on.

+1

It won't stretch there and it will just continue to fray. Snip the loose areas back and you can melt the webbing a bit to keep it from unraveling any further. After that, put the transition strip on.

You can't possibly know from a picture whether it will stretch or not. I have been installing carpet for 40 years and would need to look at it in person to tell.

Three easy steps:

1. Stretch and trim as best you can.
2. Install a wide threshhold strip.
3. Get the cat declawed -- or get rid of the cat -- because this WILL happen again.

declaw1.jpg

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Here's a better picture of the bedroom, it's quite big, at least 12X12" carpet covered.

2qLna14.jpg

Yeah, I was on vacation, the cat was in the bedroom and the wind blew the door shut and she freaked out because she likes to freak out. And my friend who was feeding her didn't get there until the next day. Although I would never declaw a cat (it is quite painful and traumatic for the entirety of a cat's life. also illegal in most western countries) she has several strikes against her but most importantly, I'm moving to a place where I can't take her.

Anyway, I will definitely look closer at all of your suggestions and if you have anymore, that would be great, thanks!

You can't possibly know from a picture whether it will stretch or not. I have been installing carpet for 40 years and would need to look at it in person to tell.

Let me rephrase. Don't bother with calling someone in to stretch it as it looks like it will cover with a decent sized threshold transition.

Three easy steps:

1. Stretch and trim as best you can.
2. Install a wide threshhold strip.
3. Get the cat declawed -- or get rid of the cat -- because this WILL happen again.

I agree on the threshold.

Don't get the cat de-clawed. That is the equivalent of cutting off the tip of your finger and isn't what I would consider humane.

The cat, as posted, must have gotten freaked out. They make something call soft claws for those folks who's cats like to trash stuff as well.

totally agree with cat, haha.

So I'm in the Atlanta area, any suggestions on a reliable, fair carpet guy? I might be able to do it if I watched enough DIY videos online, but I don't know how advanced this is. I'm a noob---amateur with home repairs, especially carpet. I had to look up "threshold transition"

While I could care less about the declawing issue . . . It IS A CAT. If you want this to happen again, be ultra-Mr. Sensitive and do a repair again in the future ... Instead, I DO HAVE three solutions which any competent carpet guy can handle.

Discuss this with your apartment manager.

1. They might have carpet remanents for your unit. Use the remanent to repair your floor.

2. Your closet is carpeted. A carpet guy can take a slice from the closet which will perfectly match your existing carpet and install it on the ripped section. He can replace the carpet slice with a part of the remanent they have on-hand. The minor differences will never show.

3. He could remove the closet carpeting entirely and install laminate. Use the closet remanent from the closet to fix the shredded portion.

balloon-cat-600.jpg

While I could care less about the declawing issue . . . It IS A CAT. If you want this to happen again, be ultra-Mr. Sensitive and do a repair again in the future ... Instead, I DO HAVE three solutions which any competent carpet guy can handle.

Discuss this with your apartment manager.

1. They might have carpet remanents for your unit. Use the remanent to repair your floor.

2. Your closet is carpeted. A carpet guy can take a slice from the closet which will perfectly match your existing carpet and install it on the ripped section. He can replace the carpet slice with a part of the remanent they have on-hand. The minor differences will never show.

3. He could remove the closet carpeting entirely and install laminate. Use the closet remanent from the closet to fix the shredded portion.

Great advice all around.

The de-clawing process (having observed it personally) is pretty brutal and very painful for the animal.

If you want to really avoid it in the future, make sure the can't shut with the wind.

My dog chewed the casing off a door because it shut behind him as well. Pulling out his teeth is probably not a suitable alternative either.

De- clawing the cats front feet is like any other operation you would do on the cat to save his life:rolleyes: You want to see what a ferret can do in 30 minutes.

CallMeVilla, I think we can agree to disagree on the declawing, but I think your pictures are hilarious.

I've lived here for 8 months and this has never happened. The only thing she's ever scratched up is the scratch pad I bought her. In THIS case, with the carpet, it was an anomaly. Although there's plenty of consistently destructive cats out there.

Back