old bath overflow removal- need help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorego

Reaction score
Hello

I am struggling to work out how to remove an old bath overflow. I think it has ceased but cannot work out how you would remove anyway.

388F4AAA-orig.jpg
08E23B25-orig.jpg

If someone could help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Is that a screw in the center of the overflow screen?
If so that's what's holding it in place.
That old a tub is going to take a cut and fit to size overflow because the distance from the bottom to the over flow is diffeant then newer tubs.
The one piece overflow will not work.
Lowes and HD both carry it.

Yeah either that's a cap that covers the screw or it's treaded on to the pipe behind the tub that's in the other picture
Take flashlight And look to see if there is a screw in the holes if not you will need a pare of small pliers and a pare of channel locks stick the end of the pliers in 2 of the holes and then use channel locks on the pliers (making the pliers act like turning a key) and go lefty for loosie.

Hi

Thanks for your feeback. There is no screw on the front plate and i cannot see any centre screw that attaches the front plate to the back connection.

So it looks like the front screen threads to the rear part directly, which has seized. wit limescale, rust etc.... any way to try and un seize or is it just brut force?

Hello

My Dad has suggested as the back pipe is lead you could just melt it down and that would help expose whatever connects the back part to the front plate?

Would that work?

dorego said:
Hello

My Dad has suggested as the back pipe is lead you could just melt it down and that would help expose whatever connects the back part to the front plate?

Would that work?

No not at all you will burn up the tub before the pipe starts to deform do you have a monkey wrench? If so
Use it on the back side of the tub see if you can get it to turn and see if the hole thing moves as well inside the tub.
Cut the cilicone with a knife that's also holding it on tight.

Yes the whole things moves at once (front plate and rear pipe). C

Going to try and dremmel the front part off tonight.

Use the Dremel with a cut off blade to try and make a flat wide slot in that center raised part.
If that does not work just grind the whole thing off and it should just fall off then.
Never heat a steel or cast tub!

Great suggestion of using the dremel. I had exactly the same problem. These old overflows were not made to come off easy! I used the cutting wheel to cut the face off the front by going round the circumferance. Then i cut through the body at the top and bottom being very careful not to go through to the bath. Then the 2 halves of the body fell apart. Job done.:trophy:

If was able to get sawzall blade into the washer that would also be a option but I'm shore it's fixed by now.

Latest posts

Back