Cellulose in an existing wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytona

Reaction score
I am thinking of blowing cellulose into an existing wall for sound proofing. It is not fool proof but I have to jump thought a lot of hoops in order to take the wall down. I have a couple of questions and wonder if you all could answer them.

1. I read that cellulose can be dusty after it is put in but it clears out later on. I am allergic to dust, will this have any long term impact?

2. I read fiber glass is a better at sound proofing but isn't more dangerous.

3. Could there be any leakage? Would my next door neighbor be effected?

I think you would be dissapointed with the result after doing a lot of work. It would be more effective to add another 5/8 of drywall and there are products to put between sheet of drywall to dampen the noise. The biggest problem you have is the drywall on both sides of the wall are nailed to the same studs and that will transfer noise whatever you do.

I think you would be dissapointed with the result after doing a lot of work. It would be more effective to add another 5/8 of drywall and there are products to put between sheet of drywall to dampen the noise. The biggest problem you have is the drywall on both sides of the wall are nailed to the same studs and that will transfer noise whatever you do.

I have looked into that but I have heard that blowing in stuff helps also. It does sound like a lot of work and I am afraid that it might cause more problems.

There is no garrentee that the insulation will fill every cavity. electrical wires blocking between studs, who knows what you would find there.
But it dosn't cost a bunch so it might be worth the effort.

Back