Uneven Kitchen Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marielapagina

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I bought a twinhouse and we're redoing the kitchen. We stripped the kitchen and dining room down to the studs. The flooring in the kitchen had three layers (go figure). After getting all the layers off, we find that the subfloor is uneven and lumpy because of leftover glue from the previous linoleum flooring. Any suggestions as to how to get that off or somehow be able to move forward with new flooring without it being subsequently lumpy and uneven?

There ways to get the old glue up, but some of the old glues had some bad stuff in them like asbestos. It may be easier to pull the subfloor and change it.

Depending on when was the house build it might contain asbestos or might not. I would suggest you get this thing tested and if it doesn't contain asbestos you can rent a small jackhammer with a scraping tip and clean up the floor pretty good. If the floor is not leveled get a floor primer and then , self-leveling mix. If it contains asbestos it will be a price job to remove it and dispose it, but health doesn't have a price sticker on it and you don`t want cancer because of breathing asbestos dust. Best of luck!

Back