Bamboo flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quattro

Massive Tool Belt
Reaction score
OK, never go to Home Depot to "just look". :)

We saw bamboo flooring for the first time yesterday (do we live under a rock?). Wife loves it. Between $2-3 a sq.ft. Looks better than laminate to me, especially in the "vertical" orientation. This would be for the kitchen.

Anyone have experience with it? Looks like I have to nail or glue it down, which isn't as handy as the click-type Pergo we have...but I have a finish nailer that would make the job quick.

Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

I've seen it and like it too. Also like the fact that it is a "green" material. It's actually grass and grows fast, so it is a much more sustainable product than hardwoods.

I found the website www.plyboo.com (bamboo plywood, flooring, etc.) Lots of info on the products. Looks like they have engineered flooring as well.

Looks like you get to be the Guinea Pig and try it out first. Good luck

Bought it! We got ~240 sq. ft. to get the kitchen done. It looks great out of the box. It'll be a while before the room is cleared and ready for the new floor, but I'll be sure to post some pics before/during/after.

Thanks for the link too.

bamboo flooring is great. I have used it many times. Bamboo is renewable resource and is cheep. It is also naturally water proof and extremely strong.

If what you bought is solid bamboo planks you can just install it like hardwood flooring. I suggest renting a pneumatic nailer to get the job done.

Ive never done any work in this area, but i talked to a buddy of mine that does hardwood and he told me you will love this stuff. He told me it is beautiful stuff. Ive never seen the stuff though.

Got the flooring in last night! Yes, that's right...8 months after purchase! I hope that means it was well acclimated to the house.

It went down really well, and looks terrific. Time will tell if it holds up as we expect it to. I already know it's not going to be as resilient as I hoped, but that will just add to its "character". :)

I will get a photo up here tonight or tomorrow!

bamboo1.jpg

bamboo2.jpg

bamboo3.jpg

My dad completely redid all our floors (except the basement) to bamboo.
it's great!
we all love it, not very expensive and really easy to clean.
i've never seen my mom so happy in her life! :D

Hope this helps!
~Alim

I did bamboo throughout our house - we love it. I did the kitchen as well and this area takes more abuse than any other places and it shows but any hardwood floor would do the same. I used the solid plank and nailed it with a traditional flooding nail gun. It has been down for 4 years now - wears as good as oak that I have laid in other houses. JB

Back