favorite / least favorite brand of tools

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i really like my dewalt drill. i just got a porter-cable recip saw from menards that is very nice, almost as good as a milwaukee. for mechanics tools i have mostly craftsman. a few snap-on's here and there and a few things from mac. back in the day black&decker was worth having, now there about as reliable as harbor freight stuff.

Depends on what type of tool. Harbor Freight is mostly made in China. I don't buy stuff made in China. OK, maybe occasionally, because I have no choice. But given a choice:

Like a lot (all are not made in China, all are ones I own): Saws: Skill Mag 77 (made in USA) and their older saws that are made in USA; Bosch. Roto Hammer: Bosch. Drills: Bosch; Makita , USA made Skill commercial grade. Routers: Porter Cable. Vacuum: Bosch; Fein. Nail/staple guns: Hitachi (best framing nailer); Porter Cable. Air tools: Ingersol Rand. Drill presses: some Craftsman (the big ones). Grinders and sanders: Milwaulkee; Makita; Porter Cable; some Craftsman. Compressors: Ingersol Rand; Quincy. Delta is going to start manufacturing one of its table saws again in the US. But it is very spendy. At least they are making one of their saws here.

Do NOT like: Black and Decker; Ryobi; any other product made in China or not made in USA, Japan or Europe. Do not buy stuff made in China, at least try to give the manufacturing jobs to Americans or some of our real allies like Japan or Europe. We need to start demanding that stores offer stuff made in USA. I tell sellers I expect to see something made in USA or I will shop somewhere else. So you know one store I NEVER shop in is Walmart.

Last edited:
I just read all of these posts, because I'm looking for some tool recommendations, and wanted to add my two cents worth. In 1980, I bought a B&D drill, circular saw, jigsaw, and table saw. The jigsaw just recently quit. No warning, I was cutting a board and it just stopped. Not too bad, though for a 30+ year old tool. The rest still work great. Over the years, I've gone through maybe 6 or 8 blades on the circular saw and 3 or 4 on the table saw. They USED TO build good tools. By contrast, my wife bought me a cordless B&D 18 volt drill two Christmases ago. It worked well, BUT it quit on me after 9 months of use. I called the local "B&D authorized repair center" in Omaha. The guy there told me that B&D was such crap that they NEVER repaired any. Since mine was still under warranty, he threw mine in the trash and ordered a replacement from B&D. So far, it's still working well, but if it craps out, I will NOT buy another B&D replacement. Craftsman used to be good, American made tools as well, but anymore most, if not all are made in China. Can anyone tell me which power tools are made in America?

I really do dig Oxtools, sturdy and tough. Just like everything that I have bought from them so far. I think that Black & Decker is decent, but I think that most people would agree that it is overrated and definitely not necessarily made to last. Which is frustrating because they do have premium pricing for some items.

It's all made in China, i'll go for the walmart $68 special
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/18v-impact-driver-kit/6000100070700

I bought a Ryobi Impact at the HD a couple years back, open box for 20 bucks, normally 79. It has served me well and still works great to this day. I also bought a Porter cable a month or so ago for the work truck since it already had the PC kit, got that one for 39 bucks new. Granted those both im sure are made in china but I would rather a name brand chinese tool over a walmart brand.

I think if I were to be using them EVERY single day as my work tools, 8+ hours a day 5+ days a week then I would buy a Full Set from Ridgid because of their lifetime warranty and lifetime battery exchange.

Since I am just a DIY use them when I need them which is usually a few times per month I bought the Ryobi set and have been totally happy with them.
They work great, plenty of power, battery life is good if you get the extra capacity batteries.
I have:
1 regular variable drill
1 Impact Driver drill
1 SDS Rotary Hammer Drill
18ga Brad Nailer
Jobsplus Multi-tool
5 1/2" Circular Saw
4 1/2" Angle Grinder
Reciprocating Saw
Power Caulking gun
Speed Saw Rotary Cutter
Power Paint Sprayer
Fan
Light
4 of the 4.0AH extra capacity batteries
4 of the regular capacity batteries
2 Chargers

Never had a single problem with any of it, all works great.
The biggest battery hog however is the angle grinder I will say that if you get one of these then you MUST have the large 4.0AH batteries 2 of them in order to really use it.
On everything else the batteries last a long time.

I have virtually the entire line of battery operated porter cable tools that came with the NiMH batteries (18V) and I love them. I treat them like crap and they keep on running. The batteries are not AMAZING as they're actually pretty poorly designed internally but they have lasted fairly well and have been fairly rugged. My last one fared better as I started caring for the battery better.

Last edited:
I use tools every day, so for me. in my opinion
corded tools. instead of batteries. this includes my 3/8 drill
I do own a "couple" of dewalt 18 volt impact/driver drills
saw zall

but for every day use, more power,no hassle, plug it in, pull a cord

Actually, I'd like to get some of the Milwaukee V28 tools, or the Bosch 36 volts, but I have to finish a couple more jobs first. But those are way more than most DIY homeowners need.

I have never been a "professional", and have always fallen into the "DIY" category. I will say, however, that as a DIY-er, if you buy top quality, you'll either never have to replace, or will only replace maybe once in your life. B&D used to be good quality. I bought a B&D circular saw and jigsaw back in 1980. I still have the circular saw (7 1/4") and it still works great. The jigsaw bit the dust a couple of years ago, and I got a new Bosch (love it. Made in Germany, not China). I also have a years - old 10" B&D table saw. It's still going strong, although I wish I had a 12". NEW B&D is crap. I got a B&D 18V cordless drill, and it bit the dust before a year was out. The repair place wouldn't even fix it - they tossed it in the trash and ordered me a new one from B&D (which I don't use - gave to my wife since she doesn't need one often). I bought a new DeWalt drill and sawzall, and absolutely love them. They are good and solid, and I don't think I'll ever have to buy new ones. Got a B&D 1/3 sheet sander, and after less than a year it wouldn't hold the paper anymore. Having said all that, I do buy some tools from Harbor Freight. The air tools seem to do fine if you use lots of oil! For the price, they may be the best bet for the occasional DIYer. As for hand (mechanic) tools, I like Snap-On or Mac. Their drawback (aside from price) is they are hard to find (and hard to exchange, if you break one). All the rest are made in China (yes, even Craftsman), and so I just don't think the quality is there. Well, that's MY opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it! :D

My tools range from Milwaukee to Porter Cable, Skil, Bosch, Makita and Dewalt. No Harbor Freight tools except crummy clamps which were so cheap I could not resist. If they break, I will just toss them. Ryobi and B&D are not durable ... plus you get laughed off the job site if your show up with them!

My Makita 18v impact and drill are bullet proof. Use them every day. Strong, drives 3" screws forever, fast recharge, durable. However, if I need serious torque, I go to my Milwaukee and Porter Cable corded varieties ... Saws? Skill worm drive and Porter Cable. I did pickup up a used corded Hitachi sawzall for $35 and it has been a non-stop workhorse.

hammer.jpg

I have a set of porter cable 18 volt tools that I have beat the crap out of for about four years now and are still kicking ***. They are slightly heavy but they work pretty good.

I have some dewalt stuff but it doesn't seem to last through the abuse I give it.

My longest lasting corded tools are makita. I have had the same angle grinder for 18 years now and it has outlasted a few dewalts, hitachi and porter cable grinders.

That's like asking which is better Ford or Chevy.
Any of my Porta Cable, or Milwaukee Cable tools still work after being dragged under houses, dropped from ladders, used by people that where trying to get out of work by abusing the tool.
My Dewalt's all failed from bad switches, burned out brushes.

Just replaced the power cord (today) on my worm drive Skillsaw. Switch is fine and motor runs great. Still has all the torque I need for bigger lumber but the magnesium models are just as strong and much lighter.

Skill-Saw-Worm-Drive.jpg

Just replaced the power cord (today) on my worm drive Skillsaw. Switch is fine and motor runs great. Still has all the torque I need for bigger lumber but the magnesium models are just as strong and much lighter.

When I used to frame homes for a living was back when, these saws were unmatchable for gang cutting studs and rafters to size. One of the best investments when you need to do a lot of demo work also. We used these to cut roofs off and build a second story on a ranch house many times.
These are a must for folks who do production work..they just dont stop!! :beer:

So i found myself in the tool aisle at the local big box, looking at the angle grinders.
The price cards give info for amperage and for RPM. Which is more important (for an angle grinder)?

The one with a metal head and hopefully metal gears. My dewalts have all crapped out on me.

Funny my 12 dollar harbor freight has kicked it way longer than dewalt and mine get wet and muddy all the time.

Back