Weatherking AC keeps shutting off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertmathern

Reaction score
My AC not sure of the model #. Keep quiting on me there is a red button on the side of the outside unit. If you push it it will turn on but then in about 24hrs it will quit again. I also noticed the fan was moving slow on start up. I cleaned the electrical contacts and the seemed to make it a little faster. Any ideas copasitor or maybe low on freion sorry guys cant spell. I have a home warrenty but it costs me 100 bucks for the service call. I dont want to pay 100 bucks if I can get the part and do it myself for less. But I have a new born baby so this 80 degress is not going to work. Please any advise would be aprecetiated.

That little red button you keep pressing is know as the high-pressure cut out switch. It is designed to stop the unit from working under high pressure conditions that will ruin your cooling system if left to run under these conditions.
Chances are your condensor fan motor is bad (or going bad if still turning somewhat) and not pulling enough heat from the system, causing a high pressure condition. It could also be the fan motor capacitor not starting the fan and that would be a very cheap repair. A new capacitor will come with a new motor, just be sure if you buy the capacitor separate, that is has the same specs. I don't know if your system has a variable speed fan controller but, I've seen these go bad as well. This controller adjusts the speed of the fan so you don't cool it too much while running the A/C in cold weather.
You should be able to replace the capacitor for under $5 but, a new condensor fan motor might cost you around $250.

Thanks I will tey the compasiter for that was my first thought. I just wanted to be sure since I am AC stupid. And if I am wrong I am only out 5 bucks or so and then I will call my home warrenty people out to fix it.

I think if you read the fine print in your home warranty, you'll find that it's not worth calling them. Those warranties are only good for big ticket items. By the time you pay the service charge and deductible, your better off just fixing it yourself.

Latest posts

Back